EU agrees to move onto trade talks

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
    • Staff Notice

EU leaders have agreed to move Brexit talks on to the second phase but called for "further clarity" from the UK about its future intentions.

Talks will now move on to the long-term relationship between the UK and EU.

The first issue to be discussed, at talks next month, will be the terms of an expected two-year transition phase after the UK's March 2019 exit.

Well, after May's bung to them, the EU has finally agreed to start talking about trade with us 9 months after article 50 was triggered. How generous of them...:rolleyes:

The problem is does May's government know what they want to talk to the EU about.

Andrew Neil was saying last night that the cabinet hasn't even discussed yet what kind of agreement the government is seeking from the EU. What the hell are they actually doing in Downing Street?

If this is the end of the "easy" bit and we're now onto the beginning of the complicated stage, it doesn't really bode well, does it, based on how things have gone so far? The only thing we may be able to gleam hope for is that the EU want to get Brexit out of the way and concentrate more on their "ever closer union" nonsense, so I suppose there is a slim chance there may not be any more major problems. (who am I kidding??)

With May losing her first vote in Parliament the the day on the repeal bill and hard line Brexiteers waiting in the winds such as Reece-Mogg, May has got a tough year ahead of her. Will she pull it off?

• Why should the EU be in a hurry? After the Referendum look how long it took us to trigger Article 50? Just one wordy letter where the only point of substance was confirmation that we’re leaving the EU. If our cretinous government can take that long to send a goodbye letter we haven’t a hope in hell of negotiating a successful Brexit.

After another inexplicably long delay we submitted in vague diplomatic gobbledegook the issues we wished to negotiate to maintain an amicable relationship. The EU was getting a better idea of the substance in those issues from British newspapers, albeit with loads of contradictions, that the Government couldn't clarify …… unless anyone thinks our Prime Minister - Madame Tussauds' first living dummy – was shedding light with her stuck auto-chant “we want the best possible deal for Britain”. Has anyone noticed that, even when responding to a journalist’s question between leaving a building and getting into a car, this dummy fashionista is reading a scripted reply prepared by one of her aides? Across the channel in La La Land the EU apparatchiks are praising our Prime Minister’s gutsy persevering political skills and Tory politicians are lapping it up and even the public are vaguely mollified. Doesn’t anyone realise that what the EU might be thinking behind closed doors is that with a dummy like this to negotiate with, they can take Britain to the cleaners?

Each time our Government says what it wants the EU says it’s still not clear what we want. There’s an element of truth in that. Maybe we are dancing to the EU’s tune because we don’t have a tune of our own. It is a deplorable prospect that our Government will negotiate us into no-man’s land purely simply because it can’t string a few clear thoughts or words together – and it’s in our very own language for goodness sake. But it isn’t just our fault; even when we have a brief moment of intelligence and can explain clearly what we want on some specific issue, the EU's response is “no”, “unacceptable”, “come back with a better proposal”. Is there no one in our Government who realises that the EU is jerking us around, pulling our chain? Months ago a British Government of any nous would have said to the EU:

“We seem to be negotiating with ourselves rather than with you. We are not interested in playing a guessing game and putting forward an endless variation of proposals in the ever-diminishing expectation that the EU might find one that could possibly be acceptable. If you are willing to enter into negotiations you must be more constructive and suggest a counter offer or at least indicate what are the specific sticking point in our proposal. It’s your club for goodness sake! If you choose not to do this then we have to conclude that you are taking us for a ride, which means it is best that Britain abandons negotiations and ceases membership on the date agreed, without any agreed trading relationship. We in Britain can devote that remaining time to improving our self-sufficiency and forging import & export trading relationships with the rest of the world. During that period we will determine what is our correct financial obligation upon leaving the EU and will welcome your input. In the event that we cannot agree with the EU we will accept an amount determined by independent non-EU arbitration. In these remaining months we would be delighted if the EU stepped forward with workable proposals for an amicable political and economic relationship of mutual benefit - – our door will always be open, and with a welcome mat - but, if Canada is a case-history example, we cannot and shall not be holding our breath".

Theresa May is due to meet her "Brexit cabinet" - about a dozen of her most senior ministers - to discuss for the first time what the UK's future relationship with the EU should be.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42385002

Brilliant. So we've spent all this time not knowing what we want, how to get it or what to do with it. Now she's virtually surrendered to the EU, May et al are going to decide what they want, what they really, really want presumably.

Shouldn't this have been discussed and decided as soon as May became PM?

• Staff Notice

I'm seeing this with an air of are we supposed to be grateful, maybe the bribe we had to offer them is to account for that.

70% of MPs want to stay in the EU, so for them to do it on our behalf, perhaps they do think we should be gratful to them for doing something they don't want to.

Brilliant. So we've spent all this time not knowing what we want, how to get it or what to do with it. Now she's virtually surrendered to the EU, May et al are going to decide what they want, what they really, really want presumably.

Shouldn't this have been discussed and decided as soon as May became PM?

When Andrew Neil said this last week, I didn't really believe him.

All the time the lefties have been slamming the government, saying that haven't a clue what they want and all the time that has actually been the case.

If I had become PM last year, on day one I would've asked what is the strategy for leaving the EU, what does the UK want?

There is only two conclusions that can be drawn from this. One is that the government is totally incompetent and lazy and the other one is that the government has no intention of taking us out of the EU and they're playing us for fools. Or, worse, it could be a combination of both options.

• 70% of MPs want to stay in the EU, so for them to do it on our behalf, perhaps they do think we should be gratful to them for doing something they don't want to.

Something they don't want to do like serve the people who put them there and pay them for instance, rather than just serving themselves like they usually do, yes I can see how that would be such a bind for them.

• Barnier has spouted off that the financial sector will not included as a special case in future trade talks , let's see how our PM spins this into something we should applaud , i really hope the Brexiteers balls drop soon and they start the fight back .

• Staff Notice

Barnier has spouted off that the financial sector will not included as a special case in future trade talks , let's see how our PM spins this into something we should applaud , i really hope the Brexiteers balls drop soon and they start the fight back .

Boris did in the article in the Sunday Times, but I haven't read it yet. I'll read it today and post back here what he said.

We've given in on the money, so of course the EU are in a bullish mood, its all going their way.

• We've given in on the money, so of course the EU are in a bullish mood, its all going their way.

Of course that's true, but the other countries, especially Germany, is ready to provide more money, while the east-countries(Poland and Hungary) stated, that they don't want to give more money.

Personally, I think, we actually gone too early into this phase, because we still do not know how we handle that (possibly) new EU border in Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Actually, in the first place, we wanted to strictly divide the phases into two:

1. What's going on when Great Britian leaves the EU?
    2. The (corporate) future, where Great Britian still wants to pick the cherries and thus still wants the access to the single market.

(fyi, German television is making fun of the government, because a study has shown that, in a survey, Britians now want to stay in the EU)

German, with different opinions.

Please correct my spelling and grammar mistakes ;)

• (fyi, German television is making fun of the government, because a study has shown that, in a survey, Britians now want to stay in the EU)

Yeah the remoaner propaganda machine does churn out some fantasy survey results to try and support it's lost cause, all you can do is laugh at them certainly best to not take them seriously..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!