Will Europe's far right destroy the EU?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • PRAGUE -- Far-right populists in Europe vowed Saturday to work together to create a new model of intercontinental cooperation that is far removed from the European Union. They attacked the EU for its migrant policies, accused its leader of trying to create a super state run by Brussels and praised U.S. President Trump's approach to migration.

Leaders of parties from France, the Netherlands, Italy, Austria, Britain and other countries met in Prague to discuss ideas for Europe's future under the headline "For a Europe of Sovereign Nations."

Just come across this story from the weekend which the BBC did not report on.... I happen to think it is a very significant story and could mark a milestone in the history of Europe.

When Merkel invited the million war-torn Syrian refugees to Germany to bolster German pensions, did she at that precise point sow the seeds of the EU's demise which has directly led to this meeting of European far right and right wing leaders?

Language, culture, history are very important to the many people's of Europe, but the EU model is one of trying to merge very different countries together "for the common good." When those Syrian refugees travelled across the continent, we saw this "common good" in action. Countries put up border controls and walls to keep them out.

I am very pro-EU in many respects, but I do not agree with the EU mantra of "ever closer union." What's wrong with simply getting on with your neighbours? I would no-more merge with my neighbours than I would expect the countries of Europe to merge together to form some sort of United States of Europe. Something the German and French leaders (past and present) say they don't want, yet on the other hand keep pushing the "ever closer union" agenda.

Could this meeting be the start of something more practical and more importantly, something that the peoples of Europe actually want, which is a Europe of sovereign nations working together but not merging together?

• Will Italy's new government bring down EU?

Italy's President Sergio Mattarella has accepted a political novice as prime minister, paving the way for the two populist parties to form a government.

The anti-establishment Five Star Movement and right-wing League chose law professor Giuseppe Conte in a bid to end 11 weeks of political deadlock.

The 64 year old has faced claims that he embellished his CV, which he denies.

Concerns remain over the two parties, which reject years of EU austerity and want to renegotiate Italy's debt.

I don't normally get excited by Italian politics, but this new coalition government bears more than a passing resemblance to Greece's Syriza's government.

Although anti-EU (or was) and anti establishment, Syriza could hardly be called a right wing party, it is as far from right wing as can be, but Italy now has not just an anti-establishment party in power, but also a far right one too.

Are we going to see the subject of Italian debt about to dominate our headlines, in the same way as Greece's did? Or, will it get even more interesting than that and this new dual-party Italian government starts to take a hard line against the EU rather than cave in to their pressure?.

In every way, Italy is a far bigger problem for the EU than Greece ever was and it may not be Brexit that causes ulcers for Mrs Merkel but Italy.

Did I ever mention here that Germany's banks aren't nearly as stable as they make out? I'd just thought I throw that googly into the mix.;)

• The Italian co-allition are promising an "End to austerity" since austerity is living within your means and also a pillar of Euro membership this looks like a direct challenge to the EU bank and Brussels. Especially as Italy is one of the largest economies in the EU unlike Greece.

It'll be interesting to see how they resist the EU bullying that will come their way.

• Germany's banks have been on the precipice for a while, despite Germany being the biggest beneficiary from the Euro.

If the EU runs true to form, they will bully and threaten Italy to try and force them into compliance. All this will achieve is more hatred for the EU. I wonder if the EU will try to place their own man to rule Italy. I'm fairly certain they got away with this once, so they could well try again.

Anyway, the EU's own rules can be ignored by the EU if it suits them, especially where Italy's banks are concerned.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• It'll be interesting to see how they resist the EU bullying that will come their way.

Remember when Alexis Tsipras and his Syriza party first appeared. They promised they'd stand up to Brussels, which they did, but the bravado disappeared when up against Mrs Merkel. Lets see how the Italians do.

Germany's banks have been on the precipice for a while, despite Germany being the biggest beneficiary from the Euro.

Indeed, since before the last financial crisis. Which is why Merkel needs to be careful "handing" out German money to other countries.

If the EU runs true to form, they will bully and threaten Italy to try and force them into compliance. All this will achieve is more hatred for the EU. I wonder if the EU will try to place their own man to rule Italy. I'm fairly certain they got away with this once, so they could well try again.

Anyway, the EU's own rules can be ignored by the EU if it suits them, especially where Italy's banks are concerned.

Yes, when the Euro was formed, France and Germany broke the fiscal compact almost immediately to suit their own ends.

As a far right party is now in government, I think we already have our answer how this will all play out.

I have a family member who regularly goes over to Italy. And when he started, about ten years ago and did all the tourist destinations, the guides always wanted to avoid Milan and other immigrant hotpots. Syrian, Libyan and all the other refugees have since flooded the country and things are far worse now than they have ever been. Milan is becoming a totally African city.

The Italians have had enough, so I don't think the EU has a chance of trying to tame the Italians with trying to install their own man to run things. If the EU did try, the Italians would vote for someone even more extreme.

• Wait for the bribes to start , pledges of investment, help with Merkels migrants, as others are saying ,Italy is a different animal to Greece on all fronts.

• I get loads of various financial newsletters and they're all going mad about this new Italian government thinking they will bring about a financial meltdown for the EU which would be bad news for us too.

I don't wish the EU ill, I just don't wish it well either.

• Something has to be done, one way or another. The Euro is crippling many countries but those doing well from the euro (eg. Germany) won't share the benefits.

The Euro has been an unmitigated disaster, but I suspect the EU would go bust rather than admit their mistake. Reverting to national currencies would solve many of the problems. The Euro is far too high for many EZ countries, so converting back to national currency will incur a very nasty exchange rate which may well put them in hock for ever more.

Gordon Brown did something right, after all. He kept us out of the euro. :)

The EU will never (willingly) give up the Euro, or free movement. They are the cornerstones that enable their vision of a federal EU, and remove the potential independence of nation states.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• The accountants I used to work for said that a common currency between different countries would ultimately be totally unworkable as some countries would need to raise interest rates while others didn't. Of course, no individual Euro zone country can raise rates on their own, which makes the whole system inflexible and will be its undoing, assuming Italy doesn't crash things first.

I have never understood the position of the Germans. They want more Europe, yet don't want a federal Europe. They want more EU fiscal controls without taking on the debts of poorer countries. They can't have it both ways, but up to now they have had "their cake and eaten it." As my waistline will testify, you get punished in the end.:)

• Exactly. The EZ countries are too varied to have a common policy, but the EU appear determined to impose one. The damage they are doing in pursuit of a federal Europe will be the downfall of all Europe. Even if we are out of the EU, we won't escape the resulting fallout.

• Italian PM-designate Giuseppe Conte has given up his bid to form a government after the country's president vetoed his choice of economy minister.

President Sergio Matarella said he had agreed to all proposals but could not back Paolo Savona, a eurosceptic.

He lasted a long time, didn't he?

So, still no Italian government, which will probably mean the euro will survive for another day.X/

• A coalition government has been agreed in Italy, ending months of uncertainty in the EU's fourth-biggest economy.

Prime Minister-designate Giuseppe Conte presented his list of ministers to President Sergio Mattarella for the second time in a week and the new government will be sworn in on Friday.

Hello, back on again.

The Italians like to keep things interesting. I wish I could see the reactions in Berlin and Brussels to this news.

• Looks like Brussels got their way over the finance minister so Italy's membership of the Euro is OK for the next few months. We'll see what happens when the government produces it's first budget and the end of austerity that they've promised. Expect the EU bankers to come down on them like a tonne of bricks.

• The Italian President must be an EU man. He is supposed to be politically neutral, but rejected the proposed finance mister on political grounds.

• All of the elite, including in our own country, are pro EU. What are they seeing in the EU, that we're not?

I see Spain is having a bit of a "blip" today too.

Quite simple really , they have wealth and interests that the EU protects , how many are brickies or shop workers?

Funny how their kids are the only ones wanting to work in the EU or live in the EU, how many council house kids plan to do this?

• To sow major Union off Europe European Union shall to thin intrinsically to run better whom bow lest to pass toward other mark Europe additional U.S. to intend to conclude peace by NATO that peace to line.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!