Crisis at Christmas adverts?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Anyone who watches TV cannot be off noticing the Crisis at Christmas adverts the ones where they are trying to get people to donate £26.08 to pay for looking after a homeless person at Christmas, two things always puzzle me about the adverts why only at Christmas is that the only time of year we are supposed to care about the homeless? and why such a precise amount as £26.08, why the odd 8p?

Just strikes me as odd that's all.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• First all of a disclaimer, I have made a donation to Crisis and others.

But I agree, homelessness is all year long, but the charities know that people will be more receptive at Christmas when they're already spending money to give send some their way.

I can't remember why they say that exact amount, but its all do to with what they do with the money, ie £2 gives someone a meal, £5 a bed for a night etc. It'll be on their website, but there is an additional question I'll add to yours and I've not seen the their websites in a few weeks so cannot recall the exact details and that is of how much they spend on advertising. I think for every £1 you donate to one of them, 40p goes on marketing....Why is that?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Yes, maybe it's just me being cynical, but indeed charities are big business these days and what used to be voluntary unpaid work has become paid work for some.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I think for every £1 you donate to one of them, 40p goes on marketing....Why is that?

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about the costs of running a charity. For a start if it's a big one with a large budget you've got to have an executive and senior staff who know what they are doing as far as investments and marketing go just as one would with a large business.

And of course people with the skills to do that want executive salaries.

Obviously ideally costs should be kept as low as possible but full time workers for charities have to make a living and salaries have to be kept in line with any other jobs.

• Problem is less and less goes to the actual people that need it and some of these charities (not Crisis) have offices in places like Mayfair leaving even less dosh for the "cause."

• I was all set to make our annual donation to Crisis at Christmas and checking on Google for the hoped for donation this year my eyes fell on a "Check out their employees salaries" so I did

I had always imagined that it was run by volunteers and was shocked to see what they are paid, they spend the least of their income on actual charitable work

A new hostel for the homeless has recently opened by the LA in my area, and lying in my spare room was a winter coat I no longer wear and a brand new sleeping bag. Wasted there I took them along to the hostel and asked if they could be of use there. Definitely was the answer, they were always grateful for any donation, particularly socks which they could never get enough of

So I took what would have been my Crisis donation plus a bit more and bought a load of thermal socks. They were so grateful

If They Can Do It So Can I

• Anyone who watches TV cannot be off noticing the Crisis at Christmas adverts the ones where they are trying to get people to donate £26.08 to pay for looking after a homeless person at Christmas, two things always puzzle me about the adverts why only at Christmas is that the only time of year we are supposed to care about the homeless? and why such a precise amount as £26.08, why the odd 8p?

Just strikes me as odd that's all.

The ads this year are overwhelming on all the various channels. Why don't they just put the damn money into helping the homeless rather than all these adverts?

• The ads this year are overwhelming on all the various channels. Why don't they just put the damn money into helping the homeless rather than all these adverts?

Like all these national charities not very much of the donations or money raised goes to the cause

If They Can Do It So Can I