News you didn't know you wanted to know

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Story and pictures on link above.

• A football team are proud to display their ball skills — in the world’s first see-through strip.

Players from Bedale AFC — famed for their novelty outfits — line up in their transparent kits for Prostate Cancer UK.

Giant white arrows on the shorts and shirt point to their manhood, with a message saying: “Don’t forget to check.”

The North Yorkshire club, from the North Riding League, donate £5 from every kit sale.

They have raised £200,000 for Prostate Cancer UK and hope to hit £250,000.

All in a good cause but thankfully they're not going "commando" 8|

• Well Done Ruth Davidson. Credit to Scotland. A loss for Holyrood. Polished politician and no doubt ashamed of the shenanigans of the SNP............I'm sure she will shake up that shower of Geriatrics in the House OF Peers.

The Voice of Reason

• Well Done Ruth Davidson. Credit to Scotland. A loss for Holyrood. Polished politician and no doubt ashamed of the shenanigans of the SNP............I'm sure she will shake up that shower of Geriatrics in the House OF Peers.

I quite liked Ruth Davidson. She and I have a lot in common, apart from the Tory party of course, but yeah..... she was effective in what she did.

I have to smile though at her criticisms of the European Union as a Collection of unelected bureaucrats*........ and now she joins the House of Lords..... a shower of unelected bureaucrats.

*She was quite wrong in her statement about the European Parliament actually.

The EU has a governing body of 751 MEP's......... every single one of them elected.

The UK has a governing body of 1'442. 650 MP's in the Commons elected by the people. 792 members in the House of Lords, appointed by the Prime Minister (that is, NOT elected by the people).

So........ less than 50% of the British government is elected by the people. And the Lords are there for life. They are not subjected to review or renewal at any time.

And now they - The Lord's - are joined by Ruth Davidson......... who calls the European Parliament a Collection of unelected Bureaucrats.

Nicola Sturgeon scolded Ruth Davidson thus:

“Ruth Davidson wants to lecture the rest of us about democratic integrity. But that’s the same Ruth Davidson who’s about to depart this elected institution, dodge an election, take a seat in the unelected House of Lords, where she will pursue a political career at the taxpayers’ expense, but never have to ask voters for their permission ever again.

“I don't think Ruth Davidson is in the position to lecture anyone about democracy.”

I think Nicola Sturgeon......... an elected representative of the Scottish people...... has every right to make that comment.

The Scottish people can have their say on whether they think Sturgeon is right. They have no say over Ruth Davidson any more.

Nicola Sturgeon got it right.

• Maybe Ruth Davidson thinks she can reform the Lords from the inside.

Pretty well everyone agrees we need reform, but there is no agreement yet on what should be done.

Just one niggling point to make - the Lords is a revising Chamber - it does not put forward legislation. The role is an essential one, but the way the Lords actually works at the moment is in crying need of reform.

• Maybe Ruth Davidson thinks she can reform the Lords from the inside.

Pretty well everyone agrees we need reform, but there is no agreement yet on what should be done.

Just one niggling point to make - the Lords is a revising Chamber - it does not put forward legislation. The role is an essential one, but the way the Lords actually works at the moment is in crying need of reform.

Oh no, you don't wriggle out of it that easily. The Lords doesn't usually put forward legislation. That much is true. Neither does it have the power to prevent legislation (save for exceptional circumstances) that has gone through the Commons, but it does have the power to amend or delay them, and they can force the Commons to reconsider them. The Lords has the lawful power to introduce Bills (example: Private Bills) of its own which, if passed, have the force of law. It IS a legislative chamber

Snip from Wiki:

While the House of Commons has a defined number of members, the number of members in the House of Lords is not fixed. Currently, it has 792 sitting members. The House of Lords is the only upper house of any bicameral parliament in the world to be larger than its lower house,[8] and is the second-largest legislative chamber in the world behind the Chinese National People's Congress.

The House of Lords scrutinises bills that have been approved by the House of Commons.[9] It regularly reviews and amends Bills from the Commons

This is one of the things I find most irritating about attempting to discuss anything with Brexiters. You just spout off the first thing that comes into your head without ever checking anything or giving any back up to any of your arguments.

I suppose it's because you've become so accustomed to being able to spout any old tosh to white van man and get away with it, you think you can do it to anybody and they will meekly accept what you say without question.

I would have thought you'd learned by now when replying to me, that I take anything you say with the minimum of credibility and call you out on it.

You really have to up your game.

Wiki of all places......... You didn't even bother to check the first half dozen paragraphs of the House of Lords entry there.

Wiki..... You didn't even check Wiki............. FFS....!!

Edited 2 times, last by Jennyanydots (July 22, 2021 at 7:09 AM).

• I like Ruth Davidson, an open, honest and intelligent politician. The complete antithesis of Sleekit Sturgeon. Scotland is the poorer for Ruth's move to Westminster. There are no politicians of any quality left in Scotland now.

The Voice of Reason

• Steady on! You may not have noticed but I agreed that the Lords needed reform, so what are you arguing about?

Yes, the Lords can introduce Bills of their own, but this is not their main purpose. Only a handful of such Bills get passed each year - normally in single figures.

• As a famous comedian once said: Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

• Blimey. Gobzilla. ^^

• That'll learn ya rushing off to Benidorm. ^^ Should have stayed in good old Blighty.

• FFS poor sharks given a bad rep again. I'd happily get in the water with that shark. It would be a pleasure. As if Jaws didn't do enough harm to the shark population. Also there have always been Great Whites off the coast of Italy in the Med too. It's a breeding ground and nursery for them. More sharks around these waters will be on the increase as global warming increases. I'm more worried about the increase in jellyfish than sharks and is something affecting UK waters. I've been in the water with White Tip reef sharks and they are more timid and scared of us more than we are of them. I have also been an arms length from a Stonefish that was sitting camouflaged on a wreck dive, and one of the most unnerving things is being on a night dive under torch light and surrounded by very active Lion fish. I'm deeply saddened when I see footage on TV of how much bleached coral there is around the world now. It used to be wonderfully colourful above 10m before losing the Reds. It can takes ages for some coral to regenerate for example Brain coral grows 1cm per year. One badly dropped anchor or one foul swoop of a divers fin can wipe out 100's or 1000's of years of growth. TBH I would welcome getting into the water with a Great White as long as I was at depth and was wearing a shark off to emit an electrical field around my body and I had something to prod them with if they got close. Obviously I wouldn't want any chum in the water to attract them either but to encounter one on the wild would be awesome. They are hugely misunderstood. I definitely would not want to be in the water with a bull shark and humans are more likely to encounter them as they like brackish waters and can swim upstream. Who knows maybe we will get them in the Thames one day as waters warm up.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!