Plans for "Dad's Army" to police UK borders

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Volunteers could be used to guard some of the UK's borders, the Home Office has said.

The plans under consideration are for "Border Force Special Volunteers" to be used at small air and sea ports.

A Home Office spokesman said it was "considering the potential benefits" and looking at how they are used by police forces.

But Conservative MP Charlie Elphicke told the Mail on Sunday: "We can't have a Dad's Army-type of set-up."

Just when you think this country cannot get any worse, or our masters cannot possibly come up with any idea more ridiculous than the previous one, they outdo themselves.

Security of the country should be the number one issue. Expecting volunteers to carry out the work of a full time salaried person is just plain stupid. Although the plans are meant to be only for small air and sea ports, who's to say that the scheme doesn't get expanded in the future?

We are one of the richest countries in the world, do we not have enough money to police and patrol our own borders and if not, why not?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I agree with you, it's the government's responsibility.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I agree with you, it's the government's responsibility.

Exactly. We've got every Tom, Dick and Abdul pouring in through totally porous borders. If necessary we should deploy the military instead of wasting them on foreign adventures. The only thing I would agree with is that ALL staff at borders should be aware of illegals trying to get in.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I'm sure the average British citizen is mega concerned about what's going on. You've just had another pair of miseries arrested for making a bomb. It seems there is a huge schism now, almost everywhere, between the citizenry and the government.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I knew I should have put this topic in the main immigration thread.:|

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.