Trump pans immigration proposal as bringing people from 'shithole countries'

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.

...........“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump said, after being presented with a proposal to restore protections for immigrants from those countries as part of a bipartisan immigration deal, the Washington Post reported, citing aides briefed on the meeting.

The president demanded to know why the US would accept immigrants from these countries rather than places like Norway, whose prime minister he had met with the day before.

https://www.theguardian.com/us…e-from-shithole-countries

A sentiment which will gain a fair amount of agreement in this country in my opinion.

• :D Trump at his best. He has the diplomacy of a tyrannosaurus rex at a garden party.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

"Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?”

I have to say, I can understand the sentiment.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I have to say, I can understand the sentiment.

Me too. Especially when the immigrant then bites the hand that feeds it.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• The problem with Trump is that whatever thought just happens to be swirling around in his brain at any give moment, he then tweets such thoughts or gives voice to them.

It's why I'm quite convinced now as I've said elsewhere, that as he cannot seem to operate without a filter, I believe he is autistic or something similar.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The problem with Trump is that whatever thought just happens to be swirling around in his brain at any give moment, he then tweets such thoughts or gives voice to them.

It's why I'm quite convinced now as I've said elsewhere, that as he cannot seem to operate without a filter, I believe he is autistic or something similar.

I think your description of Trump's style of communication is entirely right. But for me that is a refreshing change on what passes for political gravitas or a presidential image, where Machiavellian smoke & mirrors cloud substance. Tweets and voiced thoughts are supposed to be spontaneous.

I think it is a sad world when reasonably educated members of the public equate spontaneity with being "autistic or something similar".

When Trump Tweets or speaks off the cuff, he is addressing loyal employees, friends and supporters. He has probably written off neo-liberal fascists, pseudo-intellectual elites, naive or left wing or idealistic youth, unimaginative ultra conservatives, dyed in the wool Democrats and almost all of the media.

There is a "phase 2" Trump where, after a welter of thinking out loud and mulling over the options with those whose knowledge or opinions carry weight , a policy or proposed bill will be announced. I honestly can't see what's wrong with that.

Let's face it, Debrett's Etiquette and Modern Manners is an now an antique which has no place in a shithole country like ours. We may sneer at Trump's decision to fly over rather than land in Britain but we will be the losers, not Trump.

PS: In spite of all of the above I still don't like his hair or long red tie or facial expression or irrelevant quips. But so what?

• He has a maverick aspect which I think he saves for his twitter account. I have read things that describe his serious meetings as different from this, where he gets serious. Maybe he has a voice for the swamp and a voice for the people.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• If you happen to find any links about his serious meetings LW, I'd be interested.

If he is serious in meetings, then that changes things because that means:

When Trump Tweets or speaks off the cuff, he is addressing loyal employees, friends and supporters. He has probably written off neo-liberal fascists, pseudo-intellectual elites, naive or left wing or idealistic youth, unimaginative ultra conservatives, dyed in the wool Democrats and almost all of the media.

He maybe just speaking to his supporters, but if he uses different language when tweeting to private meetings, it's not really off the cuff, but a specific persona he's using for twitter and public shows.

Personally, I'm not buying it. I think he's a idiot the whole time.

There is a "phase 2" Trump where, after a welter of thinking out loud and mulling over the options with those whose knowledge or opinions carry weight , a policy or proposed bill will be announced. I honestly can't see what's wrong with that.

When saying things on Twitter that his nuclear button is bigger than Kim's, I can see a lot wrong with that.

• What is wrong with this country ? , a man tells the truth but is a terrible man, what is happening to these snowflakes?

What truth? Everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie.

• Thanks for that link, LW.

I'll ponder that.:)

• I don't have to prove anything here, nor does any other member for that matter, but as you've "asked politely"..:rolleyes:

A specific recent example would be about the American embassy in London, (something I'm going to create a separate thread about) where Trump tweeted that the Obama administration made the decision to move the embassy. They didn't, it was Bush W.

Another obvious lie would be when he talks about building the wall and he will get Mexico to pay for it. Total rubbish and the Mexicans have told him to go and jump, good for them.

• I don't have to prove anything here,

American embassy in London

Mexico to pay for the wall.

Fair enough. But are those your best shots for asserting that ......"EVERYTHING that comes out of his mouth is a lie"? "Thin gruel" as Reese-Mogg would say!

• Ah, I remember how precise you are with language.:)

Edit the word "everything" to "many things" instead.

• Edit the word "everything" to "many things" instead.

That is the case with most politicians, even if they don't overtly lie they lie by omission or clever use of weasel words. Amusing to watch them squirm when the "rottweiler"* pins them down.

As they say you know when a politician is lying: His lips move.

*John Huphreys

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Ah, I remember how precise you are with language.:)

Edit the word "everything" to "many things" instead.

It's a lonely path!

Although in qualitative research one can only offer a sense of perspective rather than hard numerical data, so getting the right word to convey a perspective is obviously important when trying to reach a judgement or decision. I suppose that is why I became more precise than average.

Although in your case I was trying to correct an exaggeration.

You could even edit it to "many things that don't matter all that much".

But then of course it wouldn't be worth posting?!

Excellent article today in the Times by Melanie Phillips about people's myopic manic assessment of Trump (I don't mean yours!).

• I'll read that article, but I stand by what I said of Trump.

He is erratic, displays odd behaviour including tweeting in the early hours, is a narcissist and lies - some of the time.

• I like Trump. Yes, sometimes the things he says make me cringe but overall I much prefer someone who says what they think instead of hearing the usual politicians 'double speak'. I prefer directness and honest opinion, even if I don't agree with them.

Politicians are their own worst enemies with this PC crap. Nobody trusts them now because you cannot trust what they say.

It doesn't matter whether you like Trump or not, but I think he is trying to do what is best for America, and Americans, unlike the Clintons, Bushes and Obamas.

What really annoys me is the likes of Sadiq Khan insulting Trump, and trying to prevent the President of the USA coming to Britain, while welcoming some really dodgy politicians, terrorists, hate preachers and so on. It is sheer hypocrisy and double standards. He should learn to shut up and stop trying to destroy our relationship with the USA, which I believe is intended to keep us 'on side' and dependent on the EU. It does seem that the majority of EU lovers hate Trump, because he is best placed to challenge the increasing powers of the EU.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• It's ironic that we've welcomed dictators to these shores for decades including the Chinese president, yet people like John Bercow (whom I'm sure are enjoying recent events) wanted Trump banned from these shores. The elected president of America.

My problem with Trump is that he seems to talk before he thinks and its all about him. As soon as he was elected, he was complaining about the media coverage of his inauguration. The first public complaint of that was when he was in the CIA. When he was making his jibes at the news networks, behind him was a wall of CIA officers who had been killed in the line of duty. He showed total disrespect to them and their families. That is the main problem with Trump - his narcissism.

• Trump is like Farage, he simply says what the average man in the street is thinking. 'Why do we have these people in our country in the first place?"

The PC Brigade and the unaffected can call it racism or whatever else they like but it's not their jobs, their communities, which are being affected.

The rich aren't going to complain about it, it's not their communities being affected, it's not their job opportunities or wages at risk.

• I'll read that article, but I stand by what I said of Trump.

He is erratic, displays odd behaviour including tweeting in the early hours, is a narcissist and lies - some of the time.

I agree, I agree , I agree, I agree

We in Britain should be so lucky. We've got Theresa May

• Until reading your post I thought I was The Last of the Mohicans

Welcome!

• You need to change your avatar then from Boggart to Daniel Day Lewis if you think you're the last of mohicans,8o

I agree, I agree , I agree, I agree

We in Britain should be so lucky. We've got Theresa May

^^

She's not as bad as him, be a little bit fair to her at least!

• I would go for something like a little cafe on Lake Geneva myself, or Vancouver Island. Somewhere not too hot.:)

• That's a good line actually.

Right back to Trump and this is what happened this morning in America:

A man who had lived in the US for 30 years was deported on Monday after being ordered to present himself with a one-way ticket to Mexico at Detroit airport.

Jorge Garcia, 39, was brought illegally to the US aged 10 but failed to secure legal status.

Whatever I may think of Trump, he seems to be sticking to his guns regardless of what CNN or others think of him.

• Yes. I like that he follows through on his promises. What a novelty for the politicians of today!

Illegals are illegals. Having escaped justice for many years doesn't make them a legal immigrant, it just makes them a more determined law evader. I wish the UK government wasn't so willing to hand out UK citizenship like confetti. Citizenship should be earned, and not taken for granted. I admire the Swiss model the most. They don't generally deport people, but they have very strict criteria for citizenship.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'