Trump pans immigration proposal as bringing people from 'shithole countries'

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • That's a bit of a cop out. People have always moved to other countries, and very few of them 'go to school' to learn the lingo. They pick it up by talking to people.

Makes you wonder what he was doing then, doesn't it? Hiding under a cupboard perhaps??

He must have lived a very isolated lifestyle, or the community he lived in was predominantly Spanish speaking.

Exactly. I'm sure if you had to live in France that within the year you'd be pretty fluent. He's had the best part of 20 years to learn English.

The French are very eager to speak and learn English, but if you go there to live they expect that you speak their language and quite right too.

• However, I'm uneasy by the Democrats suggestion that illegals should have a total amnesty regardless of circumstance.

In this specific case, with a family and life in the States for decades now, he should've been required to apply for citizenship and go to the back of the queue and while waiting for the application to be processed, he should've been allowed to stay.

Lets keep this thread about America, please.

• A few last points about this gardener-landscaper:

1) Although there was a translator to assist him in a tv interview, a subsequent interview (I thinkit was when he was back in Mexico) revealed him answering questions in English. Weird.

2) If he had returned to Mexico before the allowed period of temporary hold on deportation (which went on for a good few years), he could have applied for citizenship without breaking immigration rules. But because he stayed in the US longer than permitted he can't apply for citizenship or a visitor visa for several years.

3) He was convicted while in the US of obtaining and delivering marijuana. This federal offence didn't exactly enhance his application for citizenship. On the other hand, it was a small amount, probably just for family or friends, and there was no evidence of selling it for money.

4) The whole sob story has just been on a Whoopee Goldberg tv show and charity money is pouring in. His family still in the US could be better off without this jerk!

• 3) He was convicted while in the US of obtaining and delivering marijuana. This federal offence didn't exactly enhance his application for citizenship. On the other hand, it was a small amount, probably just for family or friends, and there was no evidence of selling it for money.

That makes it clear cut in my eyes. Sod him. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I've never touched drugs in my life, as I'd imagine most other law abiding citizens haven't done either.

I have a zero tolerance to those that break the law.

• At least there's one African president that recognises the problem.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• It was central/southern American countries he purportly made those remarks about, so I'm not sure why the Ugandan president is getting involved here. Perhaps to earn a few browny points with Trump??

• It was central/southern American countries he purportly made those remarks about, so I'm not sure why the Ugandan president is getting involved here. Perhaps to earn a few browny points with Trump??

IIRC he did also include African countries in his "shithole" list. I'll look for the reference in a while if I can find it.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Back to the OP, we know Trump isn't very diplomatic, but do you consider he was truthful?

Sometimes, telling everyone things are fine, when they aren't, means nobody tries to improve anything. Bringing longstanding problems to everyone's attention is no bad thing. It may actually result in someone doing something about it.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Back to the OP, we know Trump isn't very diplomatic, but do you consider he was truthful?

Of course, he denies he said it, but countries like Haiti and El Salvador are hardly what I would call "paradise on earth" pretty much controlled by drug gangs and warlords. So yes, if he said it, he does have a point.

• Oh dear. I have to admit that, whilst Trump is clueless in the diplomatic stakes, he often says what others think but wouldn't dare say.

That may be his only redeeming feature and I say that with my teeth well gritted.

• The problem with him Trump is that as American's head of state as well as chief politician, he is meant to use some tact. As I have said elsewhere, he has no filter.

We could all say what we think, but there are various rules, regulations and norms from preventing us doing so, although if Trump ultimately blows away political correctness for good, I'd be quite chuffed with that.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!