Brexit talks in danger as EU gets tough on citizens’ rights

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.

European Union governments demanded yesterday that their citizens who come to Britain after Brexit be allowed to remain in the country indefinitely, in a move that threatens to derail delicate transition talks.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/art…citizens-rights-bwbpd67b9

We would have to be totally insane to agree to this. It's simply a continuation free movement. And the millions of 3rd world immigrants in EU countries who, in a few years will have gained EU citizenship, will have the right to come here and stay. It means even more unlimited immigration, not the less that many of us voted voted leave to get.

• It's until 2021 when the transitional arrangements end, but that's not what was agreed between the UK and the EU in December. Note the line in that article that said:

“The British always tell us that nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. Here is an example of exactly how that works in practice,” one EU source said."

Utter knobs. Most polite term I can use for them.

It's the same old chestnut, the UK backed down on the divorce bill, so now the EU hopes the UK will back down on this issue too.

We should just leave the EU immediately, otherwise, as I've stated, I don't think we ever will.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• This is a ridiculous demand. On the bright side, the EU are playing into the hands of Brexiters. The more ridiculous the EU demands become, the harder it will be for Remainers to justify a 'soft' Brexit and acceptance of a bad deal.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Agree. We'll just tumble out with a hard Brexit and sod 'em.

BTW: Welcome Fidget:). Please introduce yourself to other members in the Greetings thread, if you get a chance.

• Thanks for your welcome, Horizon. I'll take a look at the Greetings thread.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I can't see what the problem is here provided that

1) UK border control can carry out security checks and check that these EU citizens have held an EU passport for longer than when the UK-EU referendum result was declared.

2) That their entitlement to UK benefits (eg unemployment, housing, health) will be the same as that obtained by UK citizens who decide to stay in mainland EU).

• The problem, as I see it is, is that the EU wish to undermine our control of our own borders and continue with free movement at least until 2020 and then who knows what happens. Perhaps free movement forever.

• The problem, as I see it is, is that the EU wish to undermine our control of our own borders and continue with free movement at least until 2020 and then who knows what happens. Perhaps free movement forever.

It's surely only a problem if the EU insist on being in charge of controlling our borders. But Britain would go berserk if that happened. In which case, my points (1) and (2) in posting #6 would surely control the size and quality of EU citizens staying in Britain.

The fact of the matter is that Britain has always been able to control its borders but hasn't bothered to do it properly (or craftily) or has been far too rigid in following the rules. All too often Britain has used the EU as an excuse when the public protests about a failure to govern properly or the iniquity of a rule or regulation.

Either way, we're on the slide, whether under Corbynism or Maybotism. And in a few years time Britain will be able to decide whether to be a bunch of losers and tossers within the EU or outside of it.

• On your excuses point I agree, as evidenced by the fact that many EU countries including France and Germany have stronger border controls than we do. They even chose to use a EU measure to block immigrants from Eastern European countries for several years when those E.European countries originally joined the EU.

But the wider point on free movement is valid. If the EU demands that we retain free movement of EU citizens until at least 2020, then those who voted Brexit will be very unhappy with that indeed.