A Boris too far.

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Boris Johnson proposes building a bridge across the Channel to better connect Britain and France

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-0…bridge-uk-france-channel/

Hasn't this eccentric buffoon wasted enough of the public's money already? He seems totally useless as a Foreign Secretary ( The woman in Iran still hasn't been released.) . He's wasted millions on so called Boris bikes, ( Doing more damage to London than Hitler did according to a taxi driver.) wasted £50 million on the mad idea of a garden bridge across the Thames and millions more on consultations about an airport in the Thames costing about £50 billion. Plus of course £300,000 on useless water cannon. Now this.

Do us all a favour and bugger off Boris. We look foolish enough already and the last thing we need is another clown.

• A channel bridge would be an open invitation to every Tom, Dick and Abdul to try and make it across on foot. They already try it on in the chunnel. It would be hundreds of time worse and a really powerful magnet to all the rest loitering about in the EU.

Apart from the fact it would cost a collossal amount, the budget would overrun and the project would be late. Not to mention the risks in one of the most crowded shipping lanes on the planet.

A total non-starter IMHO.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Boris is like Trump, in some respects. I think they are both naughty wind-up merchants, at times, but both are very entertaining. Boris earned his buffoon title.

The EU can get stuffed (please pardon my French!).

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I think its a serious idea and a good one. There are lots of long bridges in the world, here's a list of the top 25:

https://list25.com/25-longest-bridges-in-the-world/3/

But unlike most of the bridges on that list, the English Channel is a busy shipping lane, so building bridges there invites ships to collide with it.

Scientists have long been talked about joining up the continents of the world with bridges/tubes. The difficult one being joining Alaska to Russia over the Bering Strait at 51 miles at its most narrow point. In comparison, linking England and France by bridge should be a doddle at only 20 miles apart.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The Dartford bridge was closed the other day because of high winds. Chaos all around. One can only imagine the result if a 20 odd mile channel bridge was closed during windy weather or because of half an inch of snowfall.

• It's a fair point Morgan and I'm close to the Dartford Bridge, so very familiar with it. But most bridges like Dartford are open to the elements, so if an enclosed bridge were built, that might help, although in extreme weather the bridge would still have to be closed for safety reasons.

Edit:

Look at this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new…ision-Channel-bridge.html

Apart from the fact it would cost a collossal amount, the budget would overrun and the project would be late.

I won't dare mention the word Carillion in agreement to that point - oops.:)

• Boris seems to be saying anything other than criticising the EU over the stalling of Brexit, in fact all of the Tory so called Brexit supporters seem to be very quiet on the actual issue of Brexit, fear of rocking the boat and being thrown overboard maybe? Well they are outnumbered so you can understand why to a certain extent probably been told to button it.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Boris seems to be saying anything other than criticising the EU over the stalling of Brexit, in fact all of the Tory so called Brexit supporters seem to be very quiet on the actual issue of Brexit, fear of rocking the boat and being thrown overboard maybe? Well they are outnumbered so you can understand why to a certain extent probably been told to button it.

Lets keep this thread about the bridge, Ron, but I agree fully. THeir silence is deafening!:rolleyes:

• Lets keep this thread about the bridge, Ron, but I agree fully. THeir silence is deafening! :rolleyes:

As I said the talk of a bridge was just a red herring to distract from what Macron said, but ok lets keep this thread about the bridge, I may at some time start a thread about what was said about the UK having to pay the EU more bribe money if I think anyone is actually interested In that.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.