Macron wants special deal after UK pays

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • French President Emmanuel Macron has suggested the UK could get a special trade deal with the EU after Brexit.

But he warned that Britain would not have full access to the single market without accepting its rules.

Speaking to Andrew Marr, he warned - as Brussels has already done - that the UK could not "cherry-pick" the elements it liked.

He seems to be saying something one moment, then back to the usual line the next. I'll await with interest the full interview on Marr's programme on Sunday.

I think the hope that the countries of the EU might divide over the trade deal are wishful thinking. They are going to stick to their Three Musketeers motto "All for one and one for all."

• So is what Macron is saying that if the UK wants a trade deal with the EU we have to continue to pay billions and abide by the EU rules the official line of the EU or just him saying that's what he wants? and why wasn't May and Boris all over that saying no way is that acceptable?

• Good old Macron. Every time he opens his mouth he makes a 'no deal' exit more likely.

I think a no deal Brexit will be so bad for the EU (and bad for their worldwide reputation, seeing as May has bent over backwards trying to be fair) that it will inflame EU scepticism, so in typical fashion, the EU elite will be the architects of their own downfall.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• So is what Macron is saying that if the UK wants a trade deal with the EU we have to continue to pay billions and abide by the EU rules the official line of the EU or just him saying that's what he wants? and why wasn't May and Boris all over that saying no way is that acceptable?

Marr's programme is on iPlayer, so you can always check yourself, but he said if the UK wanted full access to the single market we have have to accept the pillars of free movement and ECJ jurisdiction and yes keep handing over dosh, but anything else its for the negotiators to agree to.

After the disaster of the Phase 1 agreement before Christmas, it doesn't look like this will go well for us.

As said on other threads, I think Boris is just shutting up for now, otherwise the conservatives fear it will open the door to Corbyn getting into Downing Street. As for May, as was illustrated the other day by her remarks, she remains a supporter of the EU...

The crunch time will be this October. Whatever is agreed (or not) has to be done by then, so that it gives all the countries of the EU time to ratify the deal before next March's Brexit.

• I'm still optimistic that we will get a reasonable deal. The EU would be damaged by a 'no deal' just the same as the UK. What none of us can be sure about is how much damage the EU are willing to take to set an example of us.

I think (after a small setback) the UK would recover from a 'no deal' much more quickly than the EU. We could set up our own trade deals much more quickly than the EU can replace the loss of the UK, and don't think I am exaggerating when I say the UK gives much more to the EU than the EU has ever given to the UK.

Also, the EU appears determined to increase their budget, despite the loss of the UK, and will have to get the money from somewhere. The UK has always been one of the 'losers' from EU membership. I expect many more members to realise that the costs outweigh the benefits once the EU settles on who will pay for the EU largesse.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• This from arch-remainer Jim O'Neill:

I'm optimistic that once we're really out then trade talks will get moving apace.

As for the EU Germany is going to take a big hit to fill the budget hole especially after swallowing a million or so economic migrants under Merkel.

• I think Boris is just shutting up for now

I am of the opinion that Boris's so called rebelliousness is nothing but hype with no real substance, whenever a leadership battle is mooted his name gets banded about, yet whenever he gets put on the spot about it he denies it and nothing happens, he is no different to any of the other he will tow the party line that enables him to keep his nose at the trough.

• I'm still optimistic that we will get a reasonable deal. The EU would be damaged by a 'no deal' just the same as the UK. What none of us can be sure about is how much damage the EU are willing to take to set an example of us.

I think (after a small setback) the UK would recover from a 'no deal' much more quickly than the EU. We could set up our own trade deals much more quickly than the EU can replace the loss of the UK, and don't think I am exaggerating when I say the UK gives much more to the EU than the EU has ever given to the UK.

Also, the EU appears determined to increase their budget, despite the loss of the UK, and will have to get the money from somewhere. The UK has always been one of the 'losers' from EU membership. I expect many more members to realise that the costs outweigh the benefits once the EU settles on who will pay for the EU largesse.

The EU have thus far been consistent, no full access to the single market without accepting all their terms.

If we do recover quickly as you suggest and I'm off the same belief too, other EU countries will ask themselves what benefit to them is there to remain in the EU if the UK is better off out of it.

And that sums up the whole problem, the EU want to make things as difficult as possible for us, so we don't l;eave, otherwise other countries may well get the same idea.

The Germans have always accepted that there is a price for EU membership and their economy has benefited immensely from it (at the expense of other countries) due to the direct 1:1 conversion of the mark into the euro, in affect the euro is the old German mark. But if the Germans were landed a higher bill to pay and at the same time their economy stated to falter, would they keep paying? If Germany left the EU, that would be the end of it.

• This from arch-remainer Jim O'Neill:

I'm optimistic that once we're really out then trade talks will get moving apace.

As for the EU Germany is going to take a big hit to fill the budget hole especially after swallowing a million or so economic migrants under Merkel.

The ripple effect of that particular move, has yet to be felt by Germany.

As for that link you posted, that tosser was one of the people advising Osbourne that Brexit would be a disaster. He may still be correct as we've not had Brexit yet, but we've had our currency collapse which is recovering a bit now and so far, it's not looking too bad.

Take that Mr O'Neil and Osbourne!:thumbdown::D

• I think a no deal Brexit will be so bad for the EU (and bad for their worldwide reputation, seeing as May has bent over backwards trying to be fair) that it will inflame EU scepticism, so in typical fashion, the EU elite will be the architects of their own downfall.

I think you're right. I wonder if being polite and reasonable and being treated this unhelpfully by the EU is deliberate or just chance. Could it be that the clever Tories have backed Theresa May to negotiate with the EU so that, when we finally give up and leave, the world looking on will feel that the EU must be truly beastly to treat a retard that way? I'm not saying such a strategy would produce that result. Instead it could lead the world to conclude that the Brits generally and its MP's specifically specifically are just a bunch of clowns who couldn't negotiate themselves out of a paper bag. Unfortunately, because we won't be leaving for a great many years (we have trouble taking no for an answer), it will be the Brits who will look like clowns and the EU who will appear dignified, sorrowful and puzzled.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!