Netflix

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Netflix is King. Will anyone catch them?

Netflix membership surged past 117 million last year, a rise the company showed its investment in original programming was paying off.

The streaming juggernaut added a record 8.3 million subscribers in the three months to December, with 6.36 million of those outside the US.

Despite sacking Spacey from their hit serial House of Cards, Netflix shows no signs of slowing down with its latest earnings release today. With last year's profits three times that of 2016 and total revenue of $3.3bn, I do not think anyone can argue that Netflix is anything other than a major global media power now. So much so, it even made Rupert Murdoch sell large parts of his business to Disney, see here: Mega Media Mergers - Disney may buy Fox. Is Murdoch throwing in the towel?

When I switch on the tv now, it's either to do one of three things:, watch the news, watch BBC Parliament (to gleam info for this site) or watch Netflix. Three years ago I never heard of Netflix, but even new televisions are being sold with a Netflix button on remote controls now.

But what next for Netflix? Will they keep growing to a point that no one can catch them, or will Amazon, Facebook, an enlarged Disney and perhaps a few others be able to take them on?

Do you watch Netflix?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• We've never subscribed to Netflix even though the app is on the smart TV (and a button on the remote). Mainly because up 'til recently they were films most of which were not of interest to us or if they were we'd get an 1080P HD torrent.

If they keep increasing original content that may change.

I think Amazon is probably the most likely provider to start to go head-to-head as they use prime to enhance the take up.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Netflix announced their latest results last night (our time) and they've added another 9 million+ customers, but this news item was interesting too.

If Netflix highlights popular stuff that might help to guide us all through their ever increasing library of shows and films, but Netflix's bosses said yesterday this is only a trial and if it doesn't succeed, they will axe it in a few months.

• Netflix price increase for UK customers

Netflix has confirmed that customers in the UK will now have to pay more for their subscriptions.

The standard tariff, which means you can stream TV shows and movies to two devices at the same time, was £7.99 but will now be £8.99.

The premium tariff, which lets you stream to four devices, will increase by £2 to £11.99.

The basic subscription currently costs users £5.99 and is the only one that will stay the same.

Damn. Streaming is becoming like a proper cable/sat subscription now with these price rises.

Will you still have Netflix after these rises?

• Never had Netflix here, even though it's an app on the smart TV, as for us there's very little interest in most films to justify any costs. We already have loads of VHS tapes, DVD's and recently updating them with HD downloads. Most of the tapes will go for recycling soon.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• It's what some folks have been telling Old Boy on his thread over on Cable Forum, that in this new streaming world, things might get far more expensive than now.

• We don't use nextflix, but my son does and we have sometimes watched stuff on there using his account, we do however have amazon prime which does also include next day delivery on a lot of stuff from them as a sort of bonus.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• New Feature:

Nice little new feature has just popped up on Netflix on tv screens, which is that you can see what new stuff is coming this week and next, plus you can set a reminders for when the new stuff becomes available to watch.

Very handy.