Liam Fox's trade department not ready to do trade deals

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • The department charged with securing trade after Brexit is not fit for the role and has been forced to delay projects as it struggles with a skills shortage, a damning report warns today.

Liam Fox’s running of the Department for International Trade (DIT) is criticised for failing to even properly set out the “capabilities and level of capacity” it will need to deliver for British business.

It does make you wonder what Liam Fox has been doing all this time since he became the trade secretary. It's not as if he's been signing trade deals all round the world, because we're not allowed to yet.

The article goes on to say that some of the best candidates who might have been our trade negotiators have been poached by the EU. You couldn't make it up if you tried.:rolleyes:

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Nothing surprises me when it come to this incompetent shambles of a government.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Nothing the Independent says surprises me ... except maybe one day they will report some good news? It's the most depressing rag available.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Leaving aside the Independent, all of our experienced trade negotiators went to work for the EU, as it's been the EU that negotiates trade on Britain's behalf, as well as all the other members of the EU. I suppose we need to offer them incentives to come home and start working for us again.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.