Jowell on cancer treatments on the NHS

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Tessa Jowell is just opening a debate now in the Lords on getting cancer trials put on the NHS as a matter of course.

Tessa Jowell herself has brain cancer.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Tessa Jowell has just finished her powerful speech where she spoke of her experiences of fighting brain cancer and her wish for innovative treatments to be made available on the NHS. She was clearly suffering from the effects of her condition and sometimes her speech had gaps in it, but she got through it in a very effective and articulate way.

When she finished, the whole house stood to their feet and gave her a round of applause. That has never happened before in the Lords.

I would add, that this should be applied to all innovative treatments for various conditions such as dementia, not just cancer.

• Unfortunately her prognosis is not good. Survival rates from this cancer have not improved over the decades. Mainly because diagnosis is often late and the cancer is very invasive.

She did an interview on R4 recently and was very frank that she probably only had a few months.:(

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• She was clearly very poorly during her speech, but she got through it.

I always liked her as Blair's culture minister, she seemed totally genuine unlike him.

• I always liked her as Blair's culture minister, she seemed totally genuine unlike him.

Yes. There are a few on the Labour side that are decent: Frank Field I have tremendous respect for as he never plays party politics with the subject and his contributions are always worth listening to.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Back to the debate.

Different lords made mention of genomics and other advanced methods, but as you said Heero, once the cancer has spread so far in the brain, there is nothing that can be done.

• Former Labour cabinet minister Dame Tessa Jowell has died aged 70, her family has said.

Dame Tessa, who was diagnosed with brain cancer in May last year, suffered a haemorrhage on Friday, and had been in a coma until her death on Saturday.

Sad news today with the death of Tessa Jowell. She visited the Commons only a few weeks ago and was clearly very poorly then.

Unfortunately, Jowell's wish that innovative treatments are introduced into the NHS see no chance of materialising anytime soon, despite goodwill on both sides of the political divide. Experimental treatments maybe dangerous, but if you have a life threatening condition, you don't have much to lose by being a guinea pig.