TomTom owners furious as ‘lifetime’ sat-nav map updates SCRAPPED for 66 models

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • People might have to start reading maps and road signs again. ^^

• I'm not up with the latest tech, but when I had my family trip down to Bournemouth last October, my brother (who was driving) used his phone as a guide.

I did ask him if he ever had a Tom Tom and he said yes, but for ages now he has used his smartphone app.

I think that's the real news here, in that Tom Tom are on the way out.

Everyone knows, or should, that lifetime doesn't mean lifetime. Companies should stop using terms like that, as they can't even guarantee they'll be in business for one year, let alone a lifetime.

• I think that's the real news here, in that Tom Tom are on the way out.

Agreed. With the rise of the apps on smart phones there's quite a few dedicated bits of hardware whose existance is threatened.

Everyone knows, or should, that lifetime doesn't mean lifetime. Companies should stop using terms like that, as they can't even guarantee they'll be in business for one year, let alone a lifetime.

Very true.

• Although when I buy a new car it usually has a built in say nat. I've had several TomToms over the years and still use my latest one a lot because of the traffic and camera updates which the car one doesn't have. Fortunately my TomTom model is still getting life time updates but the day TomTom stop supporting it is the day I'll look at buying one from a different manufacturer. I'm not paying for something I'm not getting. At the very least TomTom should offer a price reduction on newer models up to the value of the retail price of the old one.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!