Brexit: EU to have power to punish UK at will during transition

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.

Brussels will have the power to punish the UK at will during the Brexit transition period by closing off parts of the single market to British companies, according to a leaked legal document drawn up by the EU.

The 27 remaining member states want to be able to act against the UK without having to go through the potentially lengthy process of bringing cases to the European court of Justice, should Brussels come to the judgment that Britain has infringed EU law.

Advertisement

The use of focused sanctions to “suspend certain benefits ... of the internal market”, would give the EU the freedom to punish the UK without prematurely terminating the transition period and risking damage to its economic interests.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/…period-sanction

A little while ago, Remainers were complaining about our government getting "Henry VIII powers " enabling them to do as they wish. Will they have any comment to this blatant proposal by the EU to do as they and not the ECJ decide in the case of disputes? And yet it's the EU that want us to be subject to the ECJ when it suits them!! Sheer hypocrisy and double standards from the EU.

• It seems we would be fully paid members but would be denied some rights at the EU 's whim , now in our world of law and rules that Barnier says the UK must abide by, how does the EU seem to think they can actually do this , let's see what happens this week.

• https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/…period-sanction

A little while ago, Remainers were complaining about our government getting "Henry VIII powers " enabling them to do as they wish. Will they have any comment to this blatant proposal by the EU to do as they and not the ECJ decide in the case of disputes? And yet it's the EU that want us to be subject to the ECJ when it suits them!! Sheer hypocrisy and double standards from the EU.

Don't worry - Theresa May has promised she will get the best deal for Britain. Britain's answer to Blanche DeBois

• Britain's answer to Blanche DeBois

Excuse my ignorance but I had to go and look that up. ^^

Anything other than a proper leave is just kicking the can down the road and giving even more time to the remoaners to undermine our position.

• Excuse my ignorance but I had to go and look that up. ^^

Anything other than a proper leave is just kicking the can down the road and giving even more time to the remoaners to undermine our position.

Sorry for being a bit of a ponce

It's just that I think Theresa May is off her rocker and, like Blanche DuBois, it will become necessary to have her committed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_VgDHPDtK8

BTW: The film star who played Blanche DuBois won best actress academy award. I don't see Theresa May winning any awards!

• The EU are running scared. Yes, they are typical bullies, but the EU (and remainers) keep telling us we are on the road to economic doom and gloom. If they honestly and truly believed this, then they would feel no need to drive a punishment agenda, so it's just propaganda.

Their threats and fears of the UK doing well after Brexit, to me, are an admission of failure. They have free trade deals with other countries that do not involve annual fees, free movement, or supremacy of EU laws. They created the situation where membership (which has very high costs) is worse than a free trade deal, so they can't blame anyone for preferring a FTA over membership.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Brexit: EU 'removes transition punishment clause'

EU diplomats have removed a so-called "punishment clause" from a draft text of the arrangement for the Brexit transition period, the BBC understands.

A footnote published by the European Commission last week suggested that the UK would lose access to elements of the European single market if it broke EU rules during the transition period.

But officials have now promised new wording that makes reference to the EU's standard infringement procedures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43062112

It seems Barnier has now backed down. Now it's us that need to keep up the pressure.

• A least The Sun flies the flag for Blighty. :) Also carried by The Times and The Mirror. No sign of the Gruniad though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!