Westminster gets first female Black Rod

• The first female Black Rod has been presented with her ceremonial staff by the Queen at Buckingham Palace.

Sarah Clarke, who previously ran the Wimbledon tennis championships, follows in a 650-year line of men in the role.

As well as the key ceremonial role of banging on the Commons door at the State Opening of Parliament, Black Rod manages the House of Lords staff.

A female prime minister, a female head of state and now a female black rod. What next, the ladies will demand a right to vote next?8o

Seriously though, in the 21st century, do we need all this anachronistic nonsense in our parliament?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• A female prime minister, a female head of state and now a female black rod.

A female leader of that last bastion of inequality: Labour?

Mind you that might mean Diane Abbot. =O

Seriously though, in the 21st century, do we need all this anachronistic nonsense in our parliament?

It's our traditions. It's what makes us peculiarly British. A little updating doesn't go amiss however.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• A female leader of that last bastion of inequality: Labour?

Mind you that might mean Diane Abbot. =O

I'm going to have on this site at some point in the future, a be nice to Diane day. Everyone will have to say nice things about her just for one day. I'm sure that will be successful.8o^^

I'd actually forgotten that Labour has never had a female leader.

It's our traditions. It's what makes us peculiarly British. A little updating doesn't go amiss however.

I like traditional, but a "little" updating is necessary. More on this in another thread soon.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.