What are seen as Britain's "poshest" cultural activities?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Opera and ballet top a list of 13 cultural activities YouGov put to the British public

British opera has spent years trying to throw off its elitist image. Whether it is trying to improve accessibility to the masses by lowering ticket prices, hosting pop-up operas or even holding productions featuring thick Northern accents, the industry is evidently trying to bring more mass appeal to the medium.

However, it seems such efforts have a long way to go. New YouGov Omnibus research finds that three quarters (76%) of Britons see opera as “posh”, topping the list of the 13 cultural activities we asked about. Ballet comes in a close second at 72%, while going to an art exhibition is a distant third (50%).

These three cultural activities were the only ones we asked about that at least half the nation consider to be "posh".

All 13 activities rate table, follow link.

About the only one we do is the last: Eating out at the pub. Must be right common then.^^

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Do you have supermarket trolleys in your garden Heero, or have screaming arguments with partners/friends that the whole road can hear? If yes, then you're common, if no, you're safe, probably....:P

Never been to the ballet, but the last time I went to the opera was about 20 years ago with work colleagues. It was the ENO - English National Opera where everything is in English, which does help to follow the story. Anyway, I hardly have a small waistline, but my colleague next to me was even fatter and I was squashed the whole way through it.

That's my last memory of high culture.<X:thumbdown:

Interesting that the operas think that by using actors with thick northern accents, that will some how make their productions more accessible to the common folk. What about Essex accents?

"know whatta i mean" "see yer la-t-er" "laters":S

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Do you have supermarket trolleys in your garden Heero, or have screaming arguments with partners/friends that the whole road can hear? If yes, then you're common, if no, you're safe, probably.... :P

No, but they're all £1 operated.

As for opera the only CD I have is "The Ring Cycle Without Words" as the musical themes are great just ruined by all that yodelling.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.