Education Secretary " Allow more religious discrimination in schools."

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.

Plans by the Education Secretary to allow religious schools to bar a greater numbers of pupils from other backgrounds will sow seeds for social division, prejudice and hate crime, campaigners warn.

Damian Hinds, who was educated at the Catholic grammar school, St Ambrose College, said in an interview with the Sunday Times he would lift the rule forcing religious schools to allocate 50 per cent of places to pupils who do not share the belief system they espouse.

This would allow schools to select pupils entirely on the basis of religion, arguably advocating closed religious communities within education.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politi…h-a8216196.html

This must be one of the maddest ideas ever dreamed by insane politicians. It's obvious that multiculturalism,, if it ever works at all, take years to achieve but all this lunacy would do is create more and more divisions in society and encourage more extremism.

As the article aks ‘If our schools aren’t inclusive, how can we expect our society to be?’

• Indeed!

They only just imposed the 50% rule a few years ago, I think. Not that any of the Islamic or Jewish orthodox schools took a blind bit of notice.

There's been so much in the news over the last few years about intolerance and hate being taught in some of these religious schools, that I expected the government to clamp down on these schools tighter, not loosen the screws.

Remember under Blair's government, we had all this stuff coming from him and his ministers because he was Catholic as was some of his ministers and they belonged to Opus Dei. They didn't want any law that might impinge on "their" territory, as they saw it.

I've always been conservative supporting, but I am coming round to the opinion that no government of whatever colour represents the people today and it's about time we had a major change in our political system and kick the current idiots into the long grass.

• Indeed!

They only just imposed the 50% rule a few years ago, I think. Not that any of the Islamic or Jewish orthodox schools took a blind bit of notice.

There's been so much in the news over the last few years about intolerance and hate being taught in some of these religious schools, that I expected the government to clamp down on these schools tighter, not loosen the screws.

Remember under Blair's government, we had all this stuff coming from him and his ministers because he was Catholic as was some of his ministers and they belonged to Opus Dei. They didn't want any law that might impinge on "their" territory, as they saw it.

I've always been conservative supporting, but I am coming round to the opinion that no government of whatever colour represents the people today and it's about time we had a major change in our political system and kick the current idiots into the long grass.

I swear it is since we joined the Common Market/EU. Our politicians see what EU politicians do, and copy it. Basically the EU policy is 'tell 'em what they are getting, don't ask 'em what they want'. There should be more direct democracy and then these stupid ideas would get kicked into touch.

Oops! I nearly went off into a Brexit rant there, but I'll save it for another thread.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I've always been conservative supporting, but I am coming round to the opinion that no government of whatever colour represents the people today and it's about time we had a major change in our political system and kick the current idiots into the long grass.

Don't tell me: "you're as mad as hell and you ain't gonna take it any more"

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!