Hard Brexit plan

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • The Dutch government has linked its decision to activate what it refers to as a "hard Brexit" plan for customs to "divisions within the British Conservative Party" and a "remaining lack of clarity" from the UK.

A letter seen by Sky News, sent last week from the country's finance ministry, sought to explain to Dutch parliamentarians exactly how many extra customs officers would be required to police new trade barriers at Europe's biggest port in Rotterdam, and Dutch airports.

Cabinet finance minister Menno Snel wrote that 930 would be required in the event of a "no deal" Brexit, which is "conceivable" after "difficult" first-phase negotiations.

There was the recent story that in the corridors of power at Brussels, a hard Brexit was being planned in case talks with the UK collapse, but this is tangible evidence that our fellow Europeans are not too optimistic on the outcome of the Brexit negotiations.

The Dutch prime minister paid Mrs May a visit today at Downing Street and even greeted her with a triple kiss, but back home he is spending hard money on preparing for a hard brexit by hiring customs officials and police. Should we do the same?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Personally, I think the majority of Brexiters have accepted there would be short term pain, but worth it for the long term gain. I would rather go for WTO and forget any transition period and get the short term pain over with instead of dragging the uncertainty on and on. The Dutch have it right.

So far, the doom and gloom predictions have been way off mark, so we can take a jolt and still be better off than the worst case scenarios the remainers keep promoting.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• No matter what fudge May and Co. come up with it has to be approved by all 27 EU states and there's no gurantee of that. Preparing for WTO rules and customs checking to start March 2019 is the only sensible course for businesses. It has to be done for non-EU trade now so surely it's just extending current practice?

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I often wonder how Samsung, Hyundai,Jeep, Kia and thousands of other world brands survive without the benefits of free trade deals with the EU.=O

• I often wonder how Samsung, Hyundai,Jeep, Kia and thousands of other world brands survive without the benefits of free trade deals with the EU.=O

I imagine they will do the same as the majority of companies that trade outside the EU, and with countries that have no FTA with the EU.

It makes a more level playing field for UK businesses. Why should those that trade with the EU have 'free trade' at the expense of the UK taxpayer, while those who trade elsewhere do not get the same taxpayer funded benefits?

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• The problem is the City of London and that is what the EU is blackmailing us about.

Our financial services enjoy total access to EU markets, unlike banks or insurance companies from outside the EU. The City provides a lump share of the UK's tax take, so anything that harms it, harms the country.

May is in a dilemma. Go with EU demands which still allow full City access to the EU, the so called pass-porting, or go for hard Brexit, thus cutting off the City from the EU.

• Labour would seek to join a new customs union which is “pretty much like the current customs union” post-Brexit, Emily Thornberry has said.

The shadow foreign secretary suggested Labour would be willing to give up the freedom to sign independent trade agreements – in return for a new EU customs union

So Labour are getting ready to sell out the people, many of whom up North, voted Labour as well as for Brexit.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• That got leaked last night and was mentioned on Question Time.

If we stay in the customs union, we are bound by EU law....:(

Labour forgets which areas voted to leave the EU the most. Labour supporting ones.

• The problem is the City of London and that is what the EU is blackmailing us about.

Our financial services enjoy total access to EU markets, unlike banks or insurance companies from outside the EU. The City provides a lump share of the UK's tax take, so anything that harms it, harms the country.

May is in a dilemma. Go with EU demands which still allow full City access to the EU, the so called pass-porting, or go for hard Brexit, thus cutting off the City from the EU.

Not necessarily. Satellite offices in the EU, with the bulk of the services being provided from London. Switzerland is in a similar situation with the EU.

If the EU want to dictate who can provide financial services then it is a misuse of their power. Pretty much like enforced nationalisation. All the more reason for reducing their power.

I honestly think we need not worry. The EU are money grabbing mercenaries and want more and more and more power, and more and more and more money. Taxes will go up, new taxes will be brought in, and they will bleed EU countries and their citizens dry. They will take protectionism too far, and kill the golden goose (or geese).

• Good points, Fidget.

The argument you just gave there with financial services is one that the airlines have given and in fact in many cases, have already implemented.

"Open Skies" is of major importance for the airlines and those that are UK based have satellite operations in other countries. Many of them are as a routine part of their existing business', but some as a precautionary measure of a hard Brexit.

Business' will always find a way, it's politicians that cause the hurdles.