The next store to close is....

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Mike Ashley's Sports Direct considers Debenhams bid

Mike Ashley's Sports Direct is ready to pay £61.4m to take full control of Debenhams.

Sports Direct already owns a near 30% stake in the retailer.

The potential offer would be conditional on Mr Ashley becoming Debenhams chief executive.

Looks like Ashley is about to make a bid for Debenhams...X/

I suppose some jobs will be saved but for those Debenhams workers who do retain their jobs, I've no doubt they'll be treated like crap the same way that Ashley treats his current Sports Direct workers.

• I reckon Phillip Green's Arcadia empire will fail in the next few months. He has probably looted from it all that he can. Monaco beckons - anywhere but Brexit Broken Britain

• Nay, it won't be Brexit Broken Britain, unless the Remainers get their way. We'll be supercharged super industrious Britain. Haven't you noticed how well the UK is doing since the 'people' were given hope and optimism of being in charge of their own destiny.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I reckon Phillip Green's Arcadia empire will fail in the next few months. He has probably looted from it all that he can. Monaco beckons - anywhere but Brexit Broken Britain

There doesn't seem to be much left of his empire now, so you're probably right. I'm sure he'll enjoy parking that big new luxury yacht he bought a few years ago in Monaco. Good riddance to him.

• Debenhams falls into administration, wiping out Mike Ashley's stake

Debenhams has been taken over by its lenders, wiping out shareholders including Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct and paving the way for store closures that will put thousands of jobs at risk.

The department store group’s 165 outlets will continue to trade under a pre-pack deal that only affects its listed holding company.

I wonder if Ashley has grounds to sue here, considering the considerable loss he's just incurred. Not that I've any sympathy for him, he would've been terrible for Debenhams, but is terrible better than nothing at all?

Will anyone miss Debenhams?

Is the department store now dead?

• Will anyone miss Debenhams?

Is the department store now dead?

We have a Debenhams in the town. Long time ago I went in there. Had those stupid islands with over made up "assistants" flogging branded product like Lancome etc. So yesterday.

Department stores have had their time IMHO.

• We have a Debenhams in town can't remember the last time I went in there and I certainly dont remember buying anything from there, always found them a bit expensive.

As for Ashley ask any Newcastle United fan they hate his guts with a passion, one of my sons who is a Newcastle fan certainly does. :D

• As i have said before i used to tolerate shopping but now roads are closed or turned into cycle lanes in Norwich which is my nearest city, the walking dead horde wanders around enmasse daily, parking is a rip off and whole experience now sucks , bye bye high street and good riddance.

• I don't drive, so I'm not wishing for the death of the high street. Perhaps all we're seeing is the death of weaker chain shops which have turned our towns and cities into carbon copies of each other for decades. There are still HUGE amounts of brick and mortar chain shops around, so I don't think traditional shopping will die off any time soon.

• I don't drive, so I'm not wishing for the death of the high street. Perhaps all we're seeing is the death of weaker chain shops which have turned our towns and cities into carbon copies of each other for decades. There are still HUGE amounts of brick and mortar chain shops around, so I don't think traditional shopping will die off any time soon.

As you say , you live in a city and use public tansport, millions of us do neither.

We should be making the stuff with good , well paid jobs to sell in shops , not just selling foreign goods with piss poor , low paid ones.

• Hopefully Ashley will fall on his face at some point. :)

In other news:

Pri-mania as world's largest Primark opens in Birmingham

The world's biggest Primark is opening its doors to shoppers in Birmingham.

Covering 161,000 sq ft over five floors, and with a Disney cafe plus two other eateries, a barber shop and beauty studio, as well as homewares and fashion, it could spell a new generation for the department store.

After asking the other day whether the department store is dead, it seems not!

What caught my eye from that article was that is said that Primark has no online shopping. If you want to buy their stuff, you have to go into their stores and unlike M&S, HoF and now Debenhams, Primark is solely focused on the discount market.

Could this first gigantic Primark department store revitalise department stores for those that know what they're doing?

• I knew something was missing from my life , primark!

What you are seeing is the destruction of those shops that cant adapt to the internet. SHops need to turn into showcases and collection points and reduce thier overheads by reducing the size of the shop floors. The internet is now your shop floor. So yes, i think you are seeing the beginning of the end of the large department store.

• Sir Philip Green braced for Arcadia showdown

The extent of the decay in Sir Philip Green’s retail empire has been laid bare in documents posted as part of his plan to cut rents and close stores.

Proposals sent to landlords last week before an imminent company voluntary arrangement (CVA) show:

● Green is considering selling or closing Arcadia Group’s international businesses, most of which are loss-making

We've mentioned him in several threads including: Will Green keep his knighthood? and Tax avoiders blacklisted from honours, but now his "reign" may finally be coming to a end.

He's facing pressure over pensions, the MPs still haven't forgotten the BHS scandal and the biggest threat to his empire is the internet. The article goes on to say that Top Shop, in particular, is facing stiff competition from online retailers like ASOS and Boohoo. Suppliers are demanding upfront payments as his insurance has been withdrawn, so things are looking ropey for his empire.

He has now dropped out of the billionaire league and there are reports he walks alone at his Mediterranean retreat with his head in his hands. Should we feel sorry for him? I bet the BHS staff aren't, but at least he can drown his sorrows on his multi million pound yacht and spend some of the £1.2 billion dividend he paid himself in 2005. There have been other payments.

Should a business like Green's be allowed to continue in the future, where the owners can take what they want out of the business' and put them straight into their own pockets, or should there be some guarantees towards the business' itself, especially with staff pension commitments?

Is Green's actions any different to the many owners and CEOs of various companies who award themselves vast remuneration packages while their employees enjoy far less perks?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!