Russian ex spies attacked on British streets

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Sounds to me like they are guessing, makes you wonder if there actually was anything, maybe it was all staged in some cloak and dagger way to look like they were poisoned with something. :/

• Sounds to me like they are guessing, makes you wonder if there actually was anything, maybe it was all staged in some cloak and dagger way to look like they were poisoned with something. :/

conspiracy.gif

It does seem that there is a lack of clarity as to who, how, and why. Just a stampede to blame the Russians because they invented a nerve poison that could be made elsewhere by somebody, including us, with the correct facilities.

Motive? Isolate the Russians internationally so we can get on in Syria trying to bring on regime change.

• It does seem that there is a lack of clarity as to who, how, and why. Just a stampede to blame the Russians because they invented a nerve poison that could be made elsewhere by somebody, including us, with the correct facilities.

Motive? Isolate the Russians internationally so we can get on in Syria trying to bring on regime change.

Do you really think our government would launch a nerve agent attack on our own soil just to blame the Russians so we can isolate them leading to eventual regime change?

• Do you really think our government would launch a nerve agent attack on our own soil just to blame the Russians so we can isolate them leading to eventual regime change?

TBQH yes. I wouldn't rule out anything here. The spy was wanting to return to Russia, so conveniently, two birds with one stone.

The Russians cannot be confronted directly in Syria without a severe risk of conflict escallation, so turning as many nations against them internationally would do the job.

Or maybe I've been watching too many Bond movies?^^

• Do you really think our government would launch a nerve agent attack on our own soil just to blame the Russians so we can isolate them leading to eventual regime change?

Within 10 miles of Porton Down, the one place where they employ people who can fake it, then 'clean it up' before too many awkward questions are asked.

• Russia has announced further measures against UK diplomats while at the same time declaring tit-for-tat expulsions of officials from 23 other countries.

It has told the British ambassador to cut staffing to the size of the Russian mission in the UK.

The Russians are trying to apply pressure to us by expelling more of our diplomats. We should match their actions and then double them. If we back down now, we'll show we're scared of them so we should close the Russian embassy in London. We don't want relations with this gangster regime, so their people should all sod off.

Cold War 2 here we come and if Putin is silly enough to launch any more nerve agent or radio active attacks against us, the cold war will quickly turn into a hot one.

I wonder how much it would cost to bribe one of Putin's inner circle to put a bullet in his head? I gather he's worried about his personal safety.

• Russia's proposal for a new, joint investigation into the poisoning of an ex-spy and his daughter in England has been voted down at the international chemical weapons watchdog at The Hague.

Russia has accused Britain of blocking access to an investigation being carried out by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).

Britain earlier said Russia's call for an inquiry with the UK was "perverse".

Boris Johnson has hit back at Jeremy Corbyn's criticism of his response to the Salisbury nerve agent attack - accusing the Labour leader of siding "with the Russian spin machine".

The foreign secretary said it was "lamentable" that Mr Corbyn was "trying to discredit the UK" over the incident.

The story that I missed from this thread was the announcement by Porton Down yesterday that it was not their business to identify where the nerve agent came from, just to identify the type of nerve agent which just happens to be a Russian one...
    Obviously the scientists don't want to be drawn into a "dodgy dossier" type affair like what happened after the Iraq War, but it's clear the nerve agent came from Russia.

Corbyn has jumped onto the bandwagon practically defending Russia as his sympathies are to everyone else except his own country and Putin is enjoying events today too.

I'm glad the OPCW has rejected Russia's call for a joint investigation into the attack. The Russians are just playing games and Putin asking for an apology today from the UK is a affront. Good job we've got a strong military to defend ourselves against the Russians, isn't it....?X/:rolleyes:

• but it's clear the nerve agent came from Russia.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Just because the Russians invented it doesn't automatically identify them as the source, although that seems likely, it's not a given IMO.

The chemical structure of the agent is common knowledge, otherwise how could Porton Down identify it as novachic? Any chemist worth his salt would be able to work out a synthesis route to reproduce it.

Many of the most toxic compunds have a deceptively simple structures, just take dioxin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,3,7,8-T…rodibenzodioxin as an example.

• The report about the car came from American media, so clearly they were getting incorrect info.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Just because the Russians invented it doesn't automatically identify them as the source, although that seems likely, it's not a given IMO.

The chemical structure of the agent is common knowledge, otherwise how could Porton Down identify it as novachic? Any chemist worth his salt would be able to work out a synthesis route to reproduce it.

Many of the most toxic compunds have a deceptively simple structures, just take dioxin

Just because America was the first to develop the atom bomb, and the only state to use it in anger, do we say they are to blame every time China, DPRK, India or Pakistan carry out a test firing?

• The chemical structure of the agent is common knowledge, otherwise how could Porton Down identify it as novachic? Any chemist worth his salt would be able to work out a synthesis route to reproduce it.

I'm not a chemist, so can't argue with any expertise on this at all, but my understanding, is, that this nerve agent is not common and its chemical make up is such that it is specific to Russia. I don't think there will ever be a smoking gun in evidence though unless Putin confesses.

I think some people just want it to be the Russians.

Who else would want to kill an ex Russian spy, Ron? Putin said he would kill them and he's bumping them off as quick as he can.

Just because America was the first to develop the atom bomb, and the only state to use it in anger, do we say they are to blame every time China, DPRK, India or Pakistan carry out a test firing?

Nerve agents are actually like nuclear weapons in a way because the ingredients used to make them is very individual and leaves a identifying marker within the substance.

Porton Down has backed away from saying the substance was sent from Russia, but on the other hand have said it's from Russia, as they're the only ones who produced this military grade nerve agent in the first place. Which is why May asked the Russians to tell her that if they had lost control of the substance, who else has it? Obviously they didn't lose control of it.

• Russia has accused the UK of inventing a "fake story" and "playing with fire" over the Salisbury spy poisoning.

Moscow's UN ambassador Vasily Nebenzia told a meeting of the UN Security Council: "We have told our British colleagues that you are playing with fire and you will be sorry."

The Russians are feeling the heat now, so are cranking up the threats.

They lost the vote of the OPCW and didn't expect the spy's daughter to survive, let alone wake up and start talking.

Russia is trying to find cracks in the resolve of the West and I hope they don't succeed.

• Who else would want to kill an ex Russian spy, Ron?

Anyone who perceived him as a threat to their national security by having information about their national security, so that could be any country he had spied on, wasn't he a so called double agent having worked for both sides, so whoever he had done spying for may consider him a threat also and want him eliminated, that's the thing with spies the only person who knows who they are actually working for is the spy themselves.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!