Should showing photo ID when voting become ​mandatory​?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Plans to make voters show photo ID at polling stations to prevent fraud will rob "vulnerable" people of a say in elections, ministers have been warned.

The scheme is being trialled in five areas at 3 May's local elections.

But more than 40 campaign groups have written to constitution minister Chloe Smith calling for it to be scrapped.

After that mess of an election in Tower Hamlets where some people voted several times to get that Islamist elected as mayor, I can understand why there are calls for this move, but what if you don't have photo ID?

I was in favour of ID cards and that scheme should not have been scrapped, especially as the money had been spent on it and it was ready to be rolled out.

I don't drive and my passport expired more than ten years ago, what do I do? Pay for a new passport just for the "honour" of voting?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I also don't have a driving license or passport and certainly wouldn't consider paying for either just to be able to vote.

I agree they should have gone with the ID card scheme.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• It was a damn waste of money.

I didn't like the scheme at the time, but they spent billions on it, had all the systems up and running and dumped everything. Even the computers/databases containing all the info got destroyed. What a waste.

• What if poverty or ill health reduce your opportunities for travel?

No point in taking out an up to date passport, or photo-ID driving licence.

So, if you're poor, or disabled, you risk losing your right to vote. Unless this rule is aimed at 'the ethnics' who don't 'look British enough' to qualify on sight?

• What if poverty or ill health reduce your opportunities for travel?

No point in taking out an up to date passport, or photo-ID driving licence.

I don't have either a current or out-of-date passport or driving licence, so am concerned what may happen. All I have a bus pass with a thirty year old photo in it, but that's useless now, as all London travelcards are smart cards so don't need the photo.