Will there be more Ant and Dec shows?

• Presenter Ant McPartlin has stepped down from his TV roles following his arrest on suspicion of drink driving.

His publicist said McPartlin, who spent time in rehab last year, was taking time off "for the foreseeable future" and would have further treatment.

ITV's Saturday Night Takeaway will not air this weekend and the final two episodes, scheduled for 31 March and 7 April, won't feature McPartlin.

I must be honest and state that I have never seen a show with Ant or Dec in it, beyond a few episodes of Britain's Got Talent several years ago. They've won many awards and are watched by millions, but this duo are simply not my cup of tea.

If his is convicted of drink driving, I don't see how ITV could continue running his shows and if there is no Ant, then that would probably be the end of Dec too.

Could this be the end of this duo on tv?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• We can live in hope, also wouldn't mind if we saw less of Piers Morgan, Philip Schofield and Stephen Mulhern also.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I don't think we've ever watched their show. IIRC it's part of the desert that is Saturday night TV "viewing" and why we use the DVD / Download library.

According to my red-top he's probably going abroad for re-hab to get out of the public spotlight.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• Not before he has been dealt with by the law I hope.

I hope they make an example of him. Apparently he overtook a car on the blind corner and only the oncoming Mini swerving onto the pavement avoided a full head-on smash. He was also speeding according to eye-witnesses.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• The fact that a small child was in another car that he crashed into, I think it's a line that once gone over, can't be undone. He went over that line. Supposedly, he also screamed at his mum in the car.

I don't think we've ever watched their show. IIRC it's part of the desert that is Saturday night TV "viewing" and why we use the DVD / Download library.

Been a long time since I watched Saturday night tv too, but I did get a chance to watch some tv on Sunday night and so took it. Saw a film called Jumper on Ch5 that was ok and then saw the film version of The Equalizer afterwards with Denzel Washington and that was quite good too. Then switched over to BBC One and watched a secret service film called The Sentinal and that was pretty decent too.

• Saw a film called Jumper on Ch5 that was ok and then saw the film version of The Equalizer afterwards with Denzel Washington and that was quite good too. Then switched over to BBC One and watched a secret service film called The Sentinal and that was pretty decent too.

It's telling that you watched films rather than original TV entertainment.

I suspect that the Ant and Dec show will probably be shelved now. I wonder what ITV can do to replace it as it did pull in a reasonable audience though nothing compared with the old Saturday evening viewing figures from the 70's and 80's.

4312-gwban-gif

• The 70s and 80s viewing figures will never come back, but I wonder if we had the choice of tv that we have today, whether those shows from then would've got such high figures?

• Ant McPartlin faces the axe from a £20million deal with Suzuki following his drink-driving charge.

The Japanese motor firm is holding talks amid concerns he is no longer a suitable ambassador for cars.

Bosses said they would “remain in dialogue” with ITV before he was formally charged on Wednesday.

But sources say it is now close to ending the current deal, which includes lucrative spots on Saturday Night Takeaway.

Looks like it's going to get expensive for him.

4312-gwban-gif

• Indeed. Alcoholism is terrible and my sympathies go out to those affected by this affliction, but as soon as a drunk gets into a car and causes a road accident which affects others, including young children, that's a red line crossed in my book.

The real victim here is Dec whose career is also now over thanks to his "mate."

• I'll save my sympathy for the victims who get injured or killed by drunk drivers.

As for Dec if he is as good as some seem to think he is then he should have no trouble finding work.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• :thumbup:

I wasn't suggesting that drunk drivers aren't responsible for their crimes, just that that alcoholism is a disease. Obviously, if a alcoholic has had a binge and gets into a car which then causes an accident, then they have no sympathy from me at all.

• Well the tabloids are full of this story almost to the point of nothing else, every other celeb seems to have an opinion, apart from actually saying what he did by drink driving was wrong, it's all poor Ant handwringing apologists.

• Well the tabloids are full of this story almost to the point of nothing else, every other celeb seems to have an opinion, apart from actually saying what he did by drink driving was wrong, it's all poor Ant handwringing apologists.

Without taking the thread off topic too much, that's why all this sexual predator stuff like Harvey Weinstein and others occurred in the media, because people make apologies for those who do bad things. Money trumps over everything.

These men are pleasant enough on screen and quite funny on the jungle programme but why millions of pounds are thrown at them annually is beyond me .

As I said in my first post, they're not my couple of tea at all.

They may well be the best thing on tv that has happened since sliced bread was invented, I couldn't really say one way or the other. They have certainly been paid a fortune over the last few decades. But as I've said on other threads, programmes like "I'm a celebrity" are not something I have ever watched, or will ever watch. So, the whole category of shows that these blokes are involved with, are simply never seen by me.

The media is reporting that Dec will go it alone for now. He will be under contract, so will have little choice in the matter.

• Apparently the latest show has just ended with the season finale a live show in the USA, was rounded off with Donnelly getting the audience to give drunk driver McPartlin a round of applause how's that for condoning his actions. :thumbdown:

• I didn't see it Ron, but I assume that was just to recognise his work on the show, but I agree, it leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. Rather than being pissed and crashing into other cars, including one with a little kid, what if he had raped someone? Would they clap him then as his actions were simply "misguided"?

• Oh I didn't watch it, but couldn't be off reading about it plastered all over the tabloids, I know, I need to be more selective about where I look for my news.

But what has got me about this not one 'celeb' has actually condemned Ant for his actions, plenty seem to be seeing him as a victim and offering sympathy.

• At least with the tabloids you can turn the page(s) and skip the story. With the broadcast media, unless you're watching a recording or catchup, you have it thrust down your throat and the only option is the mute or off switch.

4312-gwban-gif

• That's why I use the news websites most of the time, so at least you can select what you want to read.

Oh I didn't watch it, but couldn't be off reading about it plastered all over the tabloids, I know, I need to be more selective about where I look for my news.

But what has got me about this not one 'celeb' has actually condemned Ant for his actions, plenty seem to be seeing him as a victim and offering sympathy.

The round of applause that Dec orchestrated for Ant was once the live show had finished according to the papers and yes, it's hard to escape them in the papers at the moment.

A bit like Piers Morgan and Meghan Markle at the moment, they are also everywhere. At least Bieber is getting a little bit less exposure, as are the papers other favourite, the Family Beckham.

As for the condemnation, it's a tribe mentality. He is part of the celeb tribe and they stick together.

• TV star Ant McPartlin is expected to plead guilty to drink-driving when he appears in court today.

The Saturday Night Takeaway presenter, 42, wants to admit to his wrongdoing, apologise then focus on his rehabilitation, say close friends.

I don't think there is any doubt he's guilty and despite his massive popularity, I don't see ITV ever bringing him back, at least not anywhere in the short term.

I didn't see it, but Takeakway finished a few weeks ago Antless and Britain's Got Talent has started now, obviously also Antless. That'll save ITV a load of dosh on presenter wages!

• Well with the tests that are carried out, roadside breath test and 2 breath samples back at police station if all that showed he was over the limit then he could hardly plead not guilty, I don't think there would be lawyer in the land that would represent him if he did, I hope they throw the book at him like they should with anyone regardless of who they are.

• We'll see Ron. Money and status, especially celebrity status in this day and age is very powerful.

Edit:

And just as soon as I typed that, this popped up:

TV presenter Ant McPartlin has been fined £86,000 and given a 20-month driving ban after pleading guilty to drink driving.

Speaking outside Wimbledon Magistrates' Court, he said: "I let myself down, I let a lot of people down. For that I'm truly sorry."

86k for him is peanuts, but after his behaviour he might not ever be allowed to earn more peanuts on tv, so he should make the most of his millions and not piss the lot away.

• 86k for him is peanuts, but after his behaviour he might not ever be allowed to earn more peanuts on tv, so he should make the most of his millions and not piss the lot away.

I agree, what i did find a bit strange was the 20 month ban from driving why didn't they just round it up to 2 years, also think he should have had to do some form of community payback unpaid work during the length of the ban from driving.

I would like to see all drink drivers lose their licence completely with a ban from driving then after that ban has been served they then have to apply for a new licence and retake the driving test from scratch.

• I would like to see all drink drivers lose their licence completely with a ban from driving then after that ban has been served they then have to apply for a new licence and retake the driving test from scratch.

I'd do the same for using a mobile or tablet etc as they have been proven to reduce driving competence by at least the same amount as being over the limit.

Can't imagine that he'll be on TV anytime soon. Dec will have to re-asses how his carear progresses and whether he should look for a new partner.

4312-gwban-gif

• I'd do the same for using a mobile or tablet etc as they have been proven to reduce driving competence by at least the same amount as being over the limit.

I'd go along with that too, even to the extent of banning any use of them including so called hands free kits.

• Fully agree chaps.

They should all lose their licence to drive and then have to retake the tests once their bans are finished.

And as for Dec and what he does, he's got the field wide open to him, as the Americans say. Winner takes all.