VM launch faster broadband

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • From today (March 22), Virgin's fastest broadband deal gets a 16% speed boost, from a maximum of 300Mb to a scarcely believable 350Mb. This is available to all new Virgin Media subscribers, and all existing customers currently on the 300Mb plan will be placed on the faster tariff at no extra cost.

VM officially launched 350mb speeds a few days ago, but as readers of Cable Forum will know, this rollout of faster speeds actually started last summer in some areas.

I'm on the lower 200mb tier and I cannot justify moving on to a higher tier and besides, I'm quite happy with 200mb.

Anyone on the top VM speed here, are you actually getting the 350mb or more?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I really wonder how many people actually need this speed. It's great to be able to download an HD movie in a minute or so but necessary?

VM could go a lot faster than this when they've solved the congestion in parts of the network. DOCSIS 3.1 is more than capable.

We've got the legacy 70Mbs (down, 5Mbs up) and that's quite sufficient to stream HD off Youtube and a typical torrent movie comes down in under 10 minutes.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I wish they sorted out the quality of their connections and did something more on upload speeds before continuously upping their download speeds. As you say, who really needs this much download speed now?

• Does anyone know whether this impressive increase in speed is cabled all the way from source to my computer or whether the last lap is courtesy of BT and therefore negates the improvement?

If I'm displaying an ignorance, my apologies. In London I'm theoretically on BT's high speed broadband but in reality the last lap between the BT junction box in the basement of my block of flats and the onward connection in my flat on the 9th floor, turns the attraction of streaming a movie into a complete mirage.

• This speed is only available within Virgins own hybrid* network. If you're taking a VM service but by BT's infrastructure then you'll be limited to whatever BT can provide. If it's ADSL and the old copper/aluminium twisted pair wires then the speed will strongly depend upon the distance from you to the exchange. IIRC this maxes out somewhere around 50Mbs but most users see much less than that.

BT's new fibre roll-out will improve that enourmously. It's not quite FTTP but a hybrid system like VM.

*VM use fibre to the master nodes, the signal is then converted to allow it to travel over the same co-axial cables that their digital TV service uses to the end user. The system is theoretically able to exceed 1Gbs downloads but only around 50Mbs uploading. VM are testing a 500Mbs service.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Broadband upgrade for around 1 in 5 Virgin Media customers

Virgin Media is to move around 1 million broadband customers onto the 108 Mbps tier i.e. those on the old 70 Mbps, 50 Mbps and other legacy packages. This upgrade will affect around 1 in 5 cable broadband customers. We believe that the price will not change for those getting the upgrade at least in the short term. Moving all the customers onto what is marketed as an ultrafast package also gives them a bit more marketing oomph compared to others who are still largely reliant on distance affected ADSL/VDSL2 services.

Seriously considering downgrading my package as I'm on 200MB which I don't need and 100 would be perfect.

• We're on the legacy 70Mbs (was 50 but loyalty upgrade) 100Mbs will be fine as that's the upper limit of my home network. 70 has always been rock solid so I hope that there's no change to that.

4312-gwban-gif

• You might even get a new router, Heero.

• You might even get a new router, Heero.

Well the SH1has been in modem mode since installation. I have my own router to give decent WiFi as well as other filtering facilities and DNS selection. I've had my own network even when we had the BB through the Pace 4000 stb.

A SH2 that bonds more channels downstream might be needed if the SH1 can't get the throughput.

We have 4 up at QAM64.

4312-gwban-gif