Should the West boycott the Russian World Cup? Vote now!

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• Should the West boycott the Russian World Cup? 4

1. No (2) 50%
    2. Yes (1) 25%
    3. Don't know (0) 0%
    4. Don't care (1) 25%

Russian foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova has accused the UK and US of seeking to stop her country hosting this summer's World Cup.

Speaking in a lengthy interview with a Russian TV channel, she said their "main aim" was to "take the World Cup out of Russia".

The UK has been seeking to punish Russia after accusing it of mounting a nerve agent attack in Britain.

I would be very surprised if England do go Russia in the summer to play, but to show Russia how angry everyone is with their behaviour, should western countries have a mass boycott of the Russian world cup?

See this thread for background to this:

Russian ex spies attacked on British streets

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• That's a view shared by many Ron, and although I understand the reasons for keeping the things separate, Russia sees sport, a bit like the recent winter olympics, as an extension of spreading its power. As long as they don't get all caught doing drugs!

• You could apply that reasoning to all countries that host sporting events should they all be boycotted too?

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I think the Beijing olympics should've been boycotted too for the same reasons. The reason for western countries going to the Chinese olympics was they didn't want to insult the Chinese people and hoped the Chinese leadership would choose a different path. Since then, China has built artificial islands off other people's coastlines which they've turned into military bases and anointed a dictator for life.

By boycotting Russia, we would be sending a message that we're not happy with Putin. Whether the Russians care or can do anything about that, is another matter entirely.

• Guess it depends whether or not you are that bothered about sending that message or not, and I have to say I'm not that fussed.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Save the team the trouble of raising false hopes and crashing out as loosers again.

You can tell I'm not a footy fan. :D

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Neither am I.

If Russia were favourites to win it , perhaps, as they will not however , all countries should go , sport has to be kept out of political spats as much as possible.

I always used to believe that sport and politics should be kept separate, but tend to find that any kind of relations between difference t countries tends to have at least some politics attached to it.

• I have to admit I'm not really that much of a football fan either, I just think boycotting anything rarely achieves anything worthwhile apart from make those who are doing the boycotting look like petty attention seekers.