Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • The US state of Texas is deploying National Guard members to the border with Mexico following a call from President Donald Trump.

A Guard spokesman said 250 personnel would be sent to patrol the area within the next 72 hours.

Arizona is also planning to deploy 150 troops there next week.

President Trump says he wants to send up to 4,000 National Guard members to secure the border with Mexico, until his proposed border wall is built.

Trump promised in his election campaign to build The Wall and he seems to be backing up his rhetoric as various companies have made bids to build it. In the meantime, Trump is sending troops down to the border with Mexico.

Many of the stories in the media are about how silly this is, to build walls and militarise the border, but for those living near the border, they fully support Trump's moves.

I've never been to Mexico, but I have been at the southern tip of California and Arizona and the small towns that are dotted along the border are very isolated, literally in some cases as there is hundreds of miles between towns. The people that live in these towns say they are being threatened by Mexican drug gangs and besieged by Mexican immigration.

Is Trump right to the build The Wall?

• Trump supporters angry at his 'retreat' on border wall

Supporters of US President Donald Trump have turned on him after he was yet again denied funding for a border wall.

Late on Wednesday, the US Congress approved a spending bill to keep federal agencies open until February.

The Republican president was foiled in the Senate by his own party, which refused to grant him any of the $5bn (£4bn) he wants for a US-Mexico wall.

Will Trump ever get his wall built?

The democrats take control of congress early next year, so Trump is running out of time fast. If his own side won't approve the funding of the wall, what chance does he have with the opposition? Zero, I'd suggest.

• Nearer the next US election Trump will need to write a speech himself, fit for TV, not Twitter, explaining to the American electorate his efforts in his first term are paying dividends, that global threats are diminishing, that America is being taken seriously around the globe and earning grudging respect, that the biggest threat to America now comes from an enemy within, the Democrat Party and their media, and his biggest ally within is the America voter who recognised etc etc. If he cannot or dare not articulate those thoughts he'll lose, and America will once again notice the difference between being presidential in substance rather than just in image.

• US government partially shuts down over border wall row

A partial US government shutdown has taken effect after US lawmakers failed to break a budget impasse.

Mr Trump, who has to sign off any deal, is insisting at least $5bn (£4bn) in funding be included for his long-promised wall along the Mexican border.

Lawmakers adjourned last-minute talks on Friday evening.

In the absence of an agreement, funding for about a quarter of all US federal agencies lapsed at midnight (05:00 GMT Saturday).

We've had all these spats before between a president and congress resulting in government shut downs. I'm glad we don't have their system of government, however bad ours may currently be.

As I said, the democrats will be in control of congress from the new year and I think Trump's wall is DOA. This will please many, but for those who voted for Trump on the basis of getting the wall built, I wouldn't want to be in Trump's shoes.

That's the think with stoking up crowds into hysteria, sooner or later they could turn on you, especially if you don't deliver on your promises.

• Nearer the next US election Trump will need to write a speech himself, fit for TV, not Twitter, explaining to the American electorate his efforts in his first term are paying dividends, that global threats are diminishing, that America is being taken seriously around the globe and earning grudging respect, that the biggest threat to America now comes from an enemy within, the Democrat Party and their media, and his biggest ally within is the America voter who recognised etc etc. If he cannot or dare not articulate those thoughts he'll lose, and America will once again notice the difference between being presidential in substance rather than just in image

Global threats are diminishing, really?? Has Putin been put back into his box, what about the Chinese?

• That's the thing with stoking up crowds into hysteria, sooner or later they could turn on you, especially if you don't deliver on your promises.

Today's crowds, on both sides of the pond, don't need stoking up by a politician. They're "raring to go" over practically anything which is not to their liking. Recently we've seen that in France, Spain, Britain, Italy. Popular democracy? Hah!

• Can only speak for myself here.

Despite all the media reports to the contrary, a lot of Americans want a secure border and like us, are fed up with massive illegal immigration. Of course, these sort of feelings are in many countries, so its worth keeping a eye on this sort of stuff.

Secondly, my interest is in Trump's bizarre view of things. He thinks the wall is largely built and its paid for by the Mexicans, which are both completely wrong. So, I do think a American president who is a total fantasist, is of interest to us.

And I make no bones about it, I was willing to give him a chance, but that ended a long time ago. I can't stand Trump.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!