Friday the 13th?, and other superstitions real or utter nonsense?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Unfortunately, the local cats have learned that our dogs are always indoors during the night. Yesterday, the dogs went ballistic when they looked through the bi-fold doors and saw our local grey squirrel running along the top of the fence. I only hope it can outrun them if it ever comes into the garden while the dogs are out.

EDIT: I wonder if the squirrel will eat my hazel nuts when they are ripe. I have seen it scrambling through that bush before the nuts had developed, so maybe it realises what type of bush it is.

Here, in a local wooded country park, there are squirrels which are a main attraction for the many visitors. The squirrels have learned that these visitors come with peanuts, and are happy to take them off the hands of the visitors. Some will even sit on children's shoulders to enjoy their feast which generates an army of camera shots

• That used to be my favourite part when I went to parks as a kid and feeding the ducks of course.:) (still is now!)

That same park I referred to has all sorts of aquatic birds on a couple of big lakes, including lots of ducks and swans. Visitors bring bags full of food, the crafty squirrels occupy the trees near the main entrance to get first picking of the food coming in

We always took bread to feed the birds as well as peanuts for the squirrels but there was a move to stop feeding bread as it could be harmful yet they all looked very healthy and rushed to gather and fight over the food

• Yep, feeding bread is prohibited in my local parks too, for the reason that idiot people served all out of date bread to birds that was rotting and the birds were getting various diseases as a result.

Friday the 13th has lived up to its name in my area, the tree right outside my house in the street has just been executed by the council.X(

P1810909 (Small).JPGP1810910 (Small).JPG

The ghettosisation of my area continues.:cursing:

• Don't know. There weren't many leaves on it this year, so perhaps the tree was dying, but never got any notification this was going to happen and I doubt a replacement will get planted. It wasn't a old tree either, only about fifteen years old.

It was a crab apple and looked stunning in the Spring.:(

• With continual despair about the destruction of trees everywhere, especially the Amazon rain forest they would want to hang on to as many trees as they could

When tin mining was king in Cornwall they chopped each and every tree they could find for pit props, and failed to replace them. Now the Council are planning to plant 1,000.000 trees

• It's a mental disease afflicting people of this generation. My generation venerated trees and would only fell one if absolutely necessary. The present crop of caring vegetable munching climate conscious clowns concrete and pave over their gardens and fell trees with a vengeance and are so full of hatred for almost everything and everyone, their antics beggar belief. It makes no sense but then this particular mob haven't made any sense since they first swallowed the idiotic claim that they were morally superior to everyone else and children were the teachers of the world.

One must just ride out the first two decades of any new century as these are invariably characterised with the rot that decayed the last years of the foregoing century. We are nearing the tipping point which is 2020. After that they will drive themselves over a cliff. Make sure you stay well clear or they will take you with them.

I can see the public becoming more angry with them and starting to rebel against their bullshit. Give it a bit more time and they will implode.

• Well another Friday the 13th seems to have gone by without a hitch for me at least.

Maybe we could make this thread a general superstitions thread and explore some of the others, I see walking under ladders was briefly mentioned up thread which as has already been mentioned has a logical background in that it avoids getting somthing accidentally dropped on the noggin.

The black cat one I believe stems from that they are associated with witches plus black as a colour has had associations with evil in the past.

There is one about spilling salt is believed to be unlucky.

• Bird in the house is said to be an omen of a death. I don't believe this but a few weeks ago a bird flew into the house and two days later one of our friends died in a motorcycle accident. However, I get birds in the house from time to time because there are so many where I am and sometimes they get chased by others and zoom in through the door to escape.

I rely more on my dreams. They have so far been eerily accurate.

• With continual despair about the destruction of trees everywhere, especially the Amazon rain forest they would want to hang on to as many trees as they could

When tin mining was king in Cornwall they chopped each and every tree they could find for pit props, and failed to replace them. Now the Council are planning to plant 1,000.000 trees

Now that you mention it and although never realised until you said it, on my visits to Cornwall in the past, I did notice a bit less green but never thought much about it.

The Amazon story has been a major one, I was hoping someone might create a thread about it, but I'll start one later, so thanks for the reminder on this.

• Bird in the house is said to be an omen of a death.

Didn't know that. I've had birds in my house a few times. Sometimes starlings have flown into my living room and got trapped and pigeons have fallen down the chimney (now there's a thing on top to stop them falling down) but what I saw as a good luck charm was when a Robin used to fly into my kitchen. He never came in far, just perched himselfon the corner of my sink which is right by the outside door, so he had a easy escape route. But that happened everyday one summer several years ago and very nice it was too.

Well another Friday the 13th seems to have gone by without a hitch for me at least

You're lucky! Tree in the street got executed yesterday and I think the stray cat has killed the squirrel that was on my bird table earlier. Just found a piece of the end of its tail...:(

Maybe we could make this thread a general superstitions thread and explore some of the others

It's your thread and that's a good idea.:thumbup: It's also in keeping with this site's policy of using the same threads for the same/similar topics.

• I think that a superstition is something in which someone totally believes, and if that belief ensures that they do achieve whatever they are striving for then it is worthwhile

For instance some sportsmen have a particular routine before they play, their own superstition

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!