Friday the 13th?, and other superstitions real or utter nonsense?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • With today being Friday the 13th, just wondered does anyone believe that it actually is a day that bad luck happens or just a load of superstitious nonsense?

I am in the just a load of superstitious nonsense camp and believe that if anything bad happens it's just because shit happens occasionally.

• I think its just superstitious nonsense, but that said I don't walk under ladders and I certainly wouldn't to it on today of all days!

One of neighbours about four doors down, has a load of men working on their house, so there's a load of ladders on their house and they have a black cat too....;) Shall I tempt fate and pay them a visit?:/=O:P

• One of neighbours about four doors down, has a load of men working on their house

Curiously we've got the same. Looks like a loft conversion going in. Only one ladder though.

Like you I avoid walking under ladders simply because however careful the person is up the ladder they might just drop something and a 2lb club hammer from 20 feet could seriously put a dent in your day.^^

• I'm at the end of my road and look onto the back gardens of the next road it joins into and all the houses along that road as far as I can see, have had these dormer extensions put into their lofts turning them into a "proper" level for living in and they have balconies too...

Now this has started down my road too.

• I get lots of cat visitors during the night. They appear on my garden cam photos.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I think people would be astonished at what their cats get up to in other people's gardens at night.

We used to be plagued by them and not just during the night. I had spent years improving my soil with tons of compost and a yearly load of well rotted horse manure, producing soli like compost that the dear little pussies thought was ideal for them to use

And then we acquired two dogs, and have never seen any cats since

• Yep. And dig up all my flower beds, apart from that, they're lovely!:)

I get lots of cat visitors during the night. They appear on my garden cam photos.

I'm going to have to get myself one of those. Your hedgehog cam was brilliant. I can add it to the garden cam already out there surveying my border with the neighbours.

We used to be plagued by them and not just during the night. I had spent years improving my soil with tons of compost and a yearly load of well rotted horse manure, producing soli like compost that the dear little pussies thought was ideal for them to use

It's why I get a lot of cats in my garden, because one, I've got a garden rather than a "yard" now which is becoming the norm in my parts and secondly many people have cats, so the options for the cats are limited, so they head in my direction.

As far as I can tell, I get about five or six different cats that visit at the moment.

• We used to be plagued by them and not just during the night. I had spent years improving my soil with tons of compost and a yearly load of well rotted horse manure, producing soli like compost that the dear little pussies thought was ideal for them to use

Unfortunately, the local cats have learned that our dogs are always indoors during the night. Yesterday, the dogs went ballistic when they looked through the bi-fold doors and saw our local grey squirrel running along the top of the fence. I only hope it can outrun them if it ever comes into the garden while the dogs are out.

EDIT: I wonder if the squirrel will eat my hazel nuts when they are ripe. I have seen it scrambling through that bush before the nuts had developed, so maybe it realises what type of bush it is.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!