"Airstrikes show we stand up for principle and civilised values" Boris Johnson

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Obviously as a taxpayer I don't want to keep the layabouts either but I do want the genuinely sick and unemployed looked after and not, as has happened, the DWP denying them the help they need and sometimes lying and committing fraud to justify doing so. Sending people to food banks so they can feed their kids shouldn't be the answer in a civilised country.

There's something about civil servants that is neither civil nor serving. I think it's because they see their role as being to decide whether a member of the public, most probably a bona fide citizen, is eligible to receive a favour and, if so, it is given grudgingly, almost as a special dispensation, or the decision is delayed for an indefinite period. The initial default attitude of the civil servant is that an applicant or enquirer is ineligible for whatever it is they seek.

Short of a head transplant, what is required is proper training, to create a major attitude change , coupled with regular mystery enquirer checks (like mystery shoppers), leading to rewards for those civil servants who perform well and, for the bad performance, a penalty or transfer to a job which excludes any form of communication with real people.

• There's something about civil servants that is neither civil nor serving. I think it's because they see their role as being to decide whether a member of the public, most probably a bona fide citizen, is eligible to receive a favour and, if so, it is given grudgingly, almost as a special dispensation, or the decision is delayed for an indefinite period. The initial default attitude of the civil servant is that an applicant or enquirer is ineligible for whatever it is they seek.

Short of a head transplant, what is required is proper training, to create a major attitude change , coupled with regular mystery enquirer checks (like mystery shoppers), leading to rewards for those civil servants who perform well and, for the bad performance, a penalty or transfer to a job which excludes any form of communication with real people.

All anybody really wants is a fair system, fair to the taxpayer and fair to the claimant.

• All anybody really wants is a fair system, fair to the taxpayer and fair to the claimant.

You're missing the point: there is nothing wrong with the system or policy; it's the inhuman implementation

• You're missing the point: there is nothing wrong with the system or policy; it's the inhuman implementation

I'm more inclined to think that it's the unstated policy which is inhumane - the policy of trying to save money at all costs, even if it's the sick, disabled and unemployed and their families who are being denied help. How can any organisation get so many decisions wrong? These assessors are supposed to be trained, to have some medical knowledge. Why are 2/3 of the people who appeal their decisions being proved to have a genuine claim? How is it that terminally ill people have been told they are fit for work despite having medical evidence to prove their condition?

"Decisions by the DWP not to award PIP were being overturned at 68 per cent of appeal hearings, the data showed, with 14,188 cases found in favour of the claimant between July and September this year.

Successful appeals brought against the DWP over ESA had also soared, with the proportion of cases found in favour of the claimant at 67 per cent in the last quarter, compared with 62 per cent in the same period last year and 58 per cent the year before."

https://www.independent.co.uk/…e-state-mps-a8316746.html