Windrush "scandal"

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Agree Old Boy. The government should stop giving Labour free gifts like that.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I don't know the reasons why they were let in after independence, but many people, including I, pin all the widespread immigration problems on Tony Blair and his open doors policy. But the truth is, this open door policy started decades earlier. This country has been the subject of a social engineering experiment. The question is, has it worked?

The employment reason doesn't always hold water, as many of the immigrants never found work and it might be argued in some quarters, never had any intention of doing so to begin with.

Okay, so you pin the widespread immigration problems on Tony Blair. In the case of Caribbeans who were welcomed into Britain decades ago, believing they were citizens - and/or with children added to immigrant parents' UK citizenship passport who grew up believing they too were UK citizens - does that mean they should be told today "sorry, you were part of a social engineering experiment being tried out by Tony Blair who was back then our Prime Minister, but we're not sure this experiment has worked out, so you must now go back to where you came from"?

Are principles, morality, humanity and fair play alien concepts in this discussion?

As for immigrants who opted for social benefits for a more leisurely existence, why should we penalise the economic common sense of immigrants when the real guilty culprit is the ignoramus government that offered benefits to the work shy?

• Okay, so you pin the widespread immigration problems on Tony Blair.

Try reading what I actually said again. I said the problem actually started decades earlier long before Blair ever set foot on the stage.

As for immigrants who opted for social benefits for a more leisurely existence, why should we penalise the economic common sense of immigrants when the real guilty culprit is the ignoramus government that offered benefits to the work shy?

Fully agree.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.