The Expanse

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • This show is made and broadcast by America's Syfy channel, but as far as most of the world is concerned, including the UK, this show is broadcast exclusively on Netflix.

Most of Syfy's material tends to be pretty bog standard and one dimensional in my opinion, but not this show. It's multi-layered and has a much darker tone than most of Syfy's family friendly fare.

This show is harder to get into than most, but stick with it. I think it's a good story of rival factions fighting it out and it's good to know that in the future that greed, lies and power are still the main motivators for some. Nothing changes, then... The show also deviates from the usual American formula of tv shows which insist that all characters must be warm and fuzzy with each other, and be like a family, with central characters who you really love. There isn't much warmth and fuzziness here and I can't say that I really warm to any of the show's characters, but they are interesting. This show is a bit like Red Dwarf minus the comedy.

Season 3 has already started on America's Syfy channel and will be available on Netflix soon in the UK. Season 1 and 2 are already available on Netflix.

I rate everything I've seen so far as around 8/10.

• Netflix has picked this series up for season four, which I am absolutely delighted about.

Although the season was getting repetitive, I have been watching the next three episodes 7-9, over the last few days and from ep 7 onwards, the series has essentially been reset and steering in a different direction. I am totally enjoying it again and there's a nice little surprise in these episodes for those who've been watching from season 1.

The series is based on the books of the same name, so by the looks of it, I'd say from ep 7 we're onto a different book.

Many commentators have likened The Expanse to Game of Thrones. In my opinion, it fulls well short of that, but even George RR Martin, the creator of GoT, has called this series an epic space opera. I'm not sure about that, but its definitely at least a few notches above SyFy's usual material and sci-fi series' in general.

• The 5th "season" (I'm still getting used to using the American terms... X/ ) will come to a close tomorrow, but it's on Amazon this time around. I have Amazon, but if this is the future of tv where series' jump streamers/channels all the time, it will get very confusing and expensive.

The last epidode, number 10 is tomorrow and I'll try and binge watch the whole lot over the next week or so.

Really enjoyed the last season (on Netflix) so hope this season is just as good.

• The 5th "season" (I'm still getting used to using the American terms... X/ ) will come to a close tomorrow, but it's on Amazon this time around. I have Amazon, but if this is the future of tv where series' jump streamers/channels all the time, it will get very confusing and expensive.

The last epidode, number 10 is tomorrow and I'll try and binge watch the whole lot over the next week or so.

Really enjoyed the last season (on Netflix) so hope this season is just as good.

The good thing is that you can swap streamers regularly with those short term contracts of only a month.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!