Russians used Bots to influence UK election

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • The first evidence of Russian attempts to influence the result of the general election by promoting the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, has emerged in a ground-breaking investigation into social media by this newspaper.

Our research, in conjunction with Swansea University, discovered that 6,500 Russian Twitter accounts rallied behind Labour in the weeks before last year’s election, helping supportive messages to reach millions of voters and denigrating its Conservative rivals.

The article goes on to say that thousands of fake twitter accounts were set up a few weeks before the election and pretended to be female twitter users and this was just the "tip of the iceberg." The university found sixteen thousand Russian bots had been tweeting on UK politics over the last year, a huge number.

I know this has been discussed before here and some people believe that social media cannot influence how someone would vote, but if the Russians are putting so much resources into this, it must be because they believe it must have some kind of effect. Even though Corbyn wasn't elected, May did lose the conservative majority, so I wonder how much of that was down to her and how much, if at all, was down to Putin meddling in social media?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• It wasn't down to the Russians, policies that pissed off the Tory vote and absurd promises of free nirvana for morons from Mr Jeremy Corbyn gave us the result , the Russians were not behind either!

• Is there anything that the Russians are not going to get the blame for? :rolleyes:

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• It wasn't down to the Russians, policies that pissed off the Tory vote and absurd promises of free nirvana for morons from Mr Jeremy Corbyn gave us the result , the Russians were not behind either!

True, but the Russians aren't helping matters with their continual interence.

Is there anything that the Russians are not going to get the blame for? :rolleyes:

No comrade, they're guilty.:PBut let me turn that back on you Ron, do you not lie any blame at Putin's door for anything, or do you still think we poisoned our own country and are actively paying Russian bots to get Corbyn elected? I love a good conspiracy theory, but some times facts are just that, facts.

• If all this stuff is not down to the Russians then Putin has got to be one of the unluckiest blokes in the world. So many of his enemies, critics and dodgy ex-business partners end up dead or at least on the wrong end of an attempt to kill. What are the chances? Nope, it's all someone else's fault ^^.

• Even that young Russian journalist copped it last week, anyone who goes against Putin has "accidents." Perhaps Putin should have a accident one day...