Local Elections 2018 - Will the government get punished?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Who will you vote for in the local elections? 4

1. Conservatives (3) 75%
    2. Labour (0) 0%
    3. Lib Dems (0) 0%
    4. UKIP (1) 25%
    5. Greenies (0) 0%
    6. Other (0) 0%
    7. My area is not having elections (0) 0%
    8. Don't care about elections (0) 0%

In light of Amber Rudd's resignation and continual cabinet squabbles over Brexit, will this harm the Conservatives chances at the local elections?

Is your area having elections? Mine is.

A few background articles from the Beeb:

What to look out for in May's local elections

How can you tell who's won the local elections?

• Voting tactically for the Tory to keep the Libdem out. Last time the Libdems got control of our council they signed a disasterous contract with NCP to run the carparks in the town and hoisted the charges up so much it almost killed the town centre.

If tactical wasn't needed I'd go for UKIP.

• I understand the sympathy for UKIP, but fellas, did you not see the last few posts in this thread?: New UKIP Leader. Henry who??

UKIP are not a viable party anymore, unless Farage comes back and sprinkles magic dust over it. If UKIP do revive under Farage or sort themselves out, then I might in the future vote for them in the national elections, but never local ones.

Tactical voting is a good idea locally, if you want to keep someone out.

I utterly hate my local council, but having a Labour led one would be even worse, so I'll stick to the conservatives for now.

• Both main parties are in full self destruct mode so the results are far from perdictable.

If UKIP were in a strong position now, they would be a serious contender and of course the Lib Dems never recovered from their meltdown, so its only the main parties, but as you say they are in full self destruct mode. Perhaps its time for new parties and new ideas.

• There is no choice but to vote tactically. That's the main problem with FPTP. Politics in the UK is dire, and it's a case of voting for the least worst, rather than the best, as they are all pretty crap.

New parties don't really stand a chance under FPTP. Only Labour or the Conservatives stand a chance of forming government, although local elections are often used 'to teach them a lesson' by voters.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Perhaps we should just go down the American route, Fidget, and formalise the process by just having two parties???

No. That would make a bad situation worse.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Horizon, it appears to work in the USA, where they vote for a President rather than an MP or party. Trump wasn't popular in either party. The people voted for Trump, not a political party.

Just look at how we got our referendum. UKIP gained such popularity that they virtually forced the EU referendum, even though they had no significant presence in Parliament. Take that away, and we really will be at the mercy of arrogant politicians who club together (regardless of party) because they 'know what is best for us'!

• What will people punish the Tories for?, we have record employment but as Brexit hasn't happened yet and windrush is not the Tories fault but successive governments for over 50 years, why punish them now ?, if it all goes down the toilet then by all means , I will join them!

• Staff Notice

We voted first thing but the station was empty apart from a couple of supporters recording the voters.

By all accounts the Tory's have weathered these elections quite well after being in effective power for ten years. Normally the incumbent government party gets hammered.

• Staff Notice

Well, that's your choice Ron, but then you can't complain about your local services, if you're not even prepared to vote.

Labour and the Conservatives have both lost control of key councils in local elections across England.

Labour failed to take several targets from the Tories, including Wandsworth in London, but won back Plymouth and became the largest party in Trafford.

The Tories won Barnet and gained from a collapse in UKIP's vote, celebrating wins in Basildon and Peterborough.

The Lib Dems regained control of Richmond, in London, from the Tories and gained seats elsewhere.

By all accounts the Tory's have weathered these elections quite well after being in effective power for ten years. Normally the incumbent government party gets hammered.

May is not popular, but unless this country has some kind of mass seizure or something, there is no way Corbyn will gain mass support from Middle England. No doubt the Conservatives will be reasonably happy with the result this morning.

UKIP were very strong in some areas in Essex near me, but they have now been completed wiped out with the Conservatives regaining most of the seats. This is the end of UKIP now, they won't come back.

This is something the non-Corbyn wing of the Labour party feared. They know Corbyn is not electable and this is further prove off that. I wonder if they may try and get rid of him, but Momentum in turn are plotting to get rid of them and completely turn the party into a hard left one. With Brexit "issues" to deal with, May would welcome a nice civil war in Labour right now.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!