Will Channel 5 become CBS and will all the Ch5, CBS and Viacom channels merge?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Is that with Freeview? Favourites is basically a legacy method of organising the EPG, it works better on platforms with fewer channels. On pay tv platforms, the genre filters are a quicker way of getting to the appropriate channels. That said, my favourites would be in the General/Entertainment genre. That doesn't even have a filter on VM as the entertainment channels appear first on the EPG anyway. As the VM genre filter is restricted to 16 options, VM uses a little coding trick to replace the entertainment option with "HD" to filter the HD channels.

You seem to be using favourites as a substitute genre filter, which is a fairly good idea on Freeview as it doesn't have a genre filter.

This is going somewhat off topic so, oops..

Well for some reason my old Freeview PVR has a filter ability. It works with programmes not channels though. I used to use the Film filter so I could scroll through all the films without the channels getting in the way. It's not my main box so I don't know if this still works.

• I use the favourites. I scan for all channels and weed out all the ones I am not interested in and create one long favourites list. I then reorder them all into logical sense to me. 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5 you can guess are at the top. I then put the +1 and other related channels in between them. Quest and all those documentary type channels all get grouped together as does the movie channels and so on.

We do that on our Freeview devices. On all of them I've manually deleted channels, and on one, the main TV, I have done the genre grouping manually too. However the main TV is Cable, so any Freeview changes are rarely seen as it's our backup service on that TV.

On the Freesat devices and Cable we use Favourites just to reduce the list, since there is no ordering possible. We don't use Categories filters on Satellite or Cable, we just use Favourites and EPG numbers or scrolling.

• Is that with Freeview?

Yes Freeview only here. I don't need any more monthly bills so don't buy into the subscription modal for TV. If that was the only option I would be more than happy to weed through youtube and dig out documentaries to avoid it or just give up TV altogether. Not so easy the younger generation who are spoilt for choice but I remember the days when there was only two channels and I had to play at being the coat hanger stuck in the TV as an aerial.

• Which is interesting as I don't know anyone who uses favourites but know several people using EPG genres. Hmmm...

If I'm looking through the EPG, I tend to select 'HD' rather than 'All', which is more manageable because there are fewer channels. I don't watch Standard Definition channels anyway (apart from the BBC's regional news, so it works for me.

• My thinking here cheeky, is that in the streaming world, where I believe most pay tv linear channels will die off (Old Boy where are you??) there needs to be massive consolidation of channels, but also brands too. ViacomCBS are awash with brands and I'm just not sure that having so many different ones is any good now.

Sorry I'm late for the party!

In my opinion, Channel 5 will remain Channel 5 - I can't see that ViacomCBS will be more recognisable for the public.

ViacomCBS is the company name, but in my opinion at least, it is unlikely to feature in any of the channel titles.

• Sorry I'm late for the party!

^^

In my opinion, Channel 5 will remain Channel 5 - I can't see that ViacomCBS will be more recognisable for the public.

ViacomCBS is the company name, but in my opinion at least, it is unlikely to feature in any of the channel titles.

I still reckon that with 3 batches of channel brands: the CH5 ones, CBS ones and the Viacom ones, it's too messy and there might be some tidying up at some point.

• ^^

I still reckon that with 3 batches of channel brands: the CH5 ones, CBS ones and the Viacom ones, it's too messy and there might be some tidying up at some point.

Until they either get full control of their joint venture, or sell their stake, the CBS branded channels will remain as they are, in my humbles.

• I mean the bit of your 1st post on this thread, as highlighted in bold above.

You know you mentioned this very ownership split in the first post of this thread Horizon? ;)

Joint venture = ownership split in the context I was referring to.

(Though not in all cases. It could mean something completely different elsewhere.)

• I understand that cheeky, but I don't get what point you were making with the wink at the end. I still don't.:/

I know the CBS branded channels are half owned by ViacomCBS, but I've missed the point you're making.

Your comment (I was initially replying to) to me seemed like you'd forgotten the joint venture, and I was merely pointing out that you yourself had mentioned it before.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!