When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Russia has suffered a shock elimination from Eurovision in Thursday's second semi-final.

It will be the first time the country has not qualified since 1998, going back to before the semi-final stage of the competition was introduced.

Eurovision was mentioned in a thread a few weeks ago and as I'm always on the look out for new thread ideas, I realised we don't have a Eurovision thread here. Now corrected:!:8o

I admit it, I used to love Eurovision and Wogan's dry wit commentary was the icing on the cake. Whether it was all the politics of the show through each country voting for their mates, like Greece and Cyprus, or the outlandish costumes, this was very much compulsive viewing for me. But things change and with Brexit adding a new dimension too, the UK's love-hate relationship with this contest is fading, or is it? If we won, could our love affair with this contest be rekindled?

Our entry for this year's contest is called SuRie, no I've not heard of her either. Does the UK have a chance of winning? Here's her song called Storm:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

She definitely has a Annie Lennox look and vibe to her, don't you think? The song is very Europop-ish, but doesn't really stand out to me.

Will you be watching, it's on the Beeb Saturday night?

• I seriously doubt the UK will get anywhere the rest of Europe use it as a way to show their hatred for the UK, I personally can't stand the trashy style of music so won't be watching, I just wish the UK would give up entering, also wish they would put it on one of the BBC's other channels or on the red button, I will be looking for something else to watch so thanks for the warning.

• Seriously though, it's about we stop paying for this contest, we pay about about a fifth of its costs and let others take up the strain.

That sounds familiar, the UK paying more into something than it actually benefits from it. :P

• A man stormed the stage while the UK's entry, SuRie, was performing at the Eurovision Song Contest.

SuRie was singing her song Storm when a man wearing a rucksack ran onto the stage, grabbed her microphone, and appeared to say: "Nazis of the UK media, we demand freedom."

Oh blast, I missed the fun by a few minutes as I had to go and do something. I wonder if we'll get the sympathy vote when voting starts shortly?

• We watched a fair bit of it. The winning song was truly awful but at least it will annoy the racist lefties. Just shows how culturally different we are to mainland Europe. They tend to have shocking taste in music in general...

• Can somebody please explain why the gay community seem to go nuts over this? , my gay brother in law holds a Eurovision party every year and it seems to be an annual

highlight , I find it embarrassing crap from start to finish and would rather sit in my shed than watch it.

• I wish I was watching Star Wars, especially as I missed the UK's turn and the incident which turned out to be the only fun bit.

This contest does seem to be one about being a platform to promote LBGT rights, rather than a song contest. The Oscars seem to be going this way too. Perhaps this song contest needs to go back to being about who performs the best song and the sexuality of the singer(s) should be a total non-factor, rather than the deciding factor.

• I wish I was watching Star Wars, especially as I missed the UK's turn and the incident which turned out to be the only fun bit.

This contest does seem to be one about being a platform to promote LBGT rights, rather than a song contest. The Oscars seem to be going this way too. Perhaps this song contest needs to go back to being about who performs the best song and the sexuality of the singer(s) should be a total non-factor, rather than the deciding factor.

Unlikely. I'm not quite sure what the Israeli winner was on about when she was talking about being different. I just know the song was total shite. I'm not sure what PC boxes she ticked, is she a lesbian then? Or transexual? Surely its not just enough to have silly hair and be a fashion victim?!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!