Amazon grabs some premier league tv rights

• Amazon will show 20 Premier League matches a season for three years from 2019, after winning one of the final two broadcast packages.

The online streaming service has won the rights to show every game from the first round of midweek fixtures in December and all 10 matches on Boxing Day as part of the three-year deal.

The matches will be available free to Amazon Prime's UK members.

In one way this is a very minor story, but in another it's the beginning of a major change in our broadcasting world and why all the big American media/telecom companies are merging together.

In my opinion, streaming and on-demand is the future and until now Amazon has only really dabbled in the UK television market, but although this is only a small package of football matches that Amazon has got, it signals their intent. The intent being that Amazon want to be a major player not just in the UK television world, but globally. We kind off knew that already with Amazon throwing millions off pounds of dosh at Jeremy Clarkson in making a car tv show for them and Amazon also have the rights to make the Lords of the Rings into a television series.

What this all means is the traditional broadcasters had better watch out. Like our dying high streets, in part attributable to Amazon, our broadcasters could face the same fate. Will they?

Would you purchase a Amazon Prime sub to watch a bit of footy?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• No I wouldn't pay for prime just to watch football, but as I have said before I have it for streaming it already has plus the next day delivery of items it offers, and if they start showing football that will be a bonus.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Ron, as you'll get the footy as part of the prime sub, what if Amazon raised the price of the subscription up by say £10-£20 to pay for the rights. Would you still keep the prime sub?

• Well I would hope they keep it as it is or they have an option to opt out of the football to keep the price as it is now, having said that I might go up to £10, but there's no way I would pay £20 I would rather give up the sub.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• It gets expensive if you like football. First you only had to pay SKy, then BT and now Amazon. Who's next?

If Amazon bid for larger packages of matches in the future, then their prices must go up then.

• It gets expensive if you like football.

But football fans have bottomless pockets and would sell their families into slavery just to watch 22 grown men kick an inflated bladder around for 90 minutes with no score.^^

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Uhoh, the anti footie Nazis are off again 😁.

As a beer swilling knuckle dragging football fan I won't drop my principles and sign up to Amazon. With Virgin you get BT sport for free so I only pay for Sky, which remains the best. Thats probably enough. My daughter has Amazon anyway though so if they're showing a Brighton game (assuming they're still in the Premier) I can still watch. That's one definite benefit of Netflix/Amazon, one subscription can be used in a few places.

• I have nothing against those who like football, as long as they're about ten miles from me.:P

What if in the future Hoxton, Amazon grabbed off Sky and/or BT a major package of football rights. Would you sign up then?

• I can't see Sky allowing anyone to grab anything off of them, they would just offer the premier league more money and the premier league being the money grabbers they are will always sell to the highest bidder, and lets not forget Mr Murdoch has many friends in high places to always assure he gets what he wants. ;)

• But Amazon has money too.

I just checked their latest figures and over the last reported three months, Amazon made $1.6 billion and Disney (the likely future owner of Sky) made $1.7 billion. Lets not forget Facebook and Apple for the future too.

• I have nothing against those who like football, as long as they're about ten miles from me.:P

What if in the future Hoxton, Amazon grabbed off Sky and/or BT a major package of football rights. Would you sign up then?

Not likely. I'm thinking of revising my boycott though. I'm a democrat at heart and it seems my vote against Amazon has massively failed, the British public is pro-tax dodging unfortunately. If I found a real benefit from them I might use them but usually I find their rivals are better.

• In terms of delivery in my area Hoxton, they can't be beaten. I even get same day and Sunday deliveries sometimes as part of the prime subscription. As for the tax dodging, that story ain't over yet, as we're seeing with the increased pressure on the Russians and they're dubious riches being laundering in the UK.