Channel Chit-chat

• This is a sister thread to the Channel News and Rumours - no discussion thread.

Whereas that thread is for purely posting the news and rumours of new channels, this is the place to discuss it all.

Remember you can quote any post from the news thread (or anywhere else on this site) directly into this thread.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• So, to kick this thread off, as I just posted in the channel news thread, VM are replacing the axed UKTV channels with new channels, but not all of them are new... Will they be duplicates, or are VM moving things around? If they are, it will be a total mess, ie music and sports channels in the main entertainment part of the EPG. Surely, that can't be a permanent thing?

• This UKTV loss is causing me stress...X(

I generally don't watch the channels myself, but channels like Alibi and Drama are very popular in my household. W shows a lot of old episodes of Tipping Point, which are very popular in my house and even I'm having withdrawal symptoms from that! A nice and simple show without all the nastiness of some of the other quiz shows.:)

Sometimes I like to watch things like Death In Paradise on Alibi, so the loss of these channels is a real pain.:cursing:

• We're missing the Good Food channel. Although they're mostly repeats of old BBC / ITV series some we never saw on the first run so are of interest particularly where the programme also shows some of the culture of the countries visited. The Hairy Bikers in Japan was fascinating.

At least the Freeview service has most of the others that VM stopped carrying. Glad I installed an antenna in the loft as a backup.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• Try out the Food Ch Heero, but what I've seen of it, it does seem mostly yank stuff.

My main loft aerial broke years ago. If VM don't sort this out, I might ditch their tv service altogether and go to Freeview and get a new aerial installed. But as I've said before, I'm waiting for Sky to launch their IPTV service which doesn't look like its going to happen until sometime next year. A long way off.

• Try out the Food Ch Heero, but what I've seen of it, it does seem mostly yank stuff.

We do watch that quite often at the weekend. They run back-to-back repeats of "Man vs Food" and "Diners, drive-ins and dives". It's handy that this is also streamable from TVplayer (free) so can have it on the lappy outside via my WiFi. It also runs repeats of Jamie Oliver's various series.

TVplayer also has the premium UKTV channels as well as the likes of Discovery but there's a modest subscription (£7.99 / month) for that. Seriously considering this plus Freeview instead of VM's TV service. The smart TV can't access this directly as it runs out of memory but the laptop will connect via HDMI and in 1080 where available.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Having all these separate apps to use is such a backwards step, from the original idea of satellite and cable tv, in that everything used to be accessed from one interface/EPG. But I guess that's "progress"...

• It's a pity the smart TV couldn't handle TVplayer because at least in the front room everything would be in one place. Doesn't solve the problem of distribution around the house which is courtesy of a modulator connected to the DVD recorder output that then takes its signal from the SCART on the HD box.

I doubt there'll ever be a one stop shop for everything. Too many vendors want some thing exclusive to their offering. Example being Sky Atlantic

4312-gwban-gif

• Sky doesn't have Amazon Prime, but otherwise they have Sky Atlantic as you say and Netflix too, all available through the same interface.

I don't personally have a problem with apps, but some elderly people can struggle with all the different technology that is around now. Using channel up and down on one remote control, is much easier.

• Just a reminder that Sky Living gets renamed to Sky Witness tomorrow, focussing on crime dramas.

• I think that continually renaming channels just because they're having a Harry Potter season, or whatever, is utterly pathetic and infantile.

Why not just promote it as a whatever season?

4312-gwban-gif