Brexit and EU general chit chat

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • I was able to vote in the 75 referendum about remaining in the common market (that we had been taken into by Heath without electoral consent), and I remember all the assurances that it was purely a trade arrangement and there would be no loss of sovereignty. Even then, many were unhappy with the Common Market restrictive rules and that's how we got a referendum in '75. There wasn't any internet in those days to check out the treaties and so discover what lying b******* politicians were! We were wrong to trust politicians and it's gone downhill, if anything, since. Our country belongs to everyone, not just the politicians.

I reckon Heath was either blackmailed or bought. Maybe both, but we'll never know for sure.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I reckon Heath was either blackmailed or bought. Maybe both, but we'll never know for sure.

From what I've read on the matter Heath knew exactly what he was leading the country into but didn't dare tell the electorate.

BTW You knew that the EU bought Heath "Morning Cloud"? (His Yacht) Read into that what you will.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I was able to vote in the 75 referendum about remaining in the common market (that we had been taken into by Heath without electoral consent), and I remember all the assurances that it was purely a trade arrangement and there would be no loss of sovereignty. Even then, many were unhappy with the Common Market restrictive rules and that's how we got a referendum in '75. There wasn't any internet in those days to check out the treaties and so discover what lying b******* politicians were! We were wrong to trust politicians and it's gone downhill, if anything, since. Our country belongs to everyone, not just the politicians.

I reckon Heath was either blackmailed or bought. Maybe both, but we'll never know for sure.

I hadn't realised until you just said it, that the original referendum only came after the entry into the EEC.8|

I am going to have at least one thread on political reform, so I'll reserve my comments about our current system for that, but things have got to change and with the technology we have now, there is no reason it shouldn't.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• On thing is for sure, so many EU countries are very unhappy with current EU policies and eu-scepticism is on the rise, even in Germany which gains the biggest advantage from EU membership.

The costs and disadvantages of the EU outweigh the benefits.

The EU will only become democratic when it starts offering the people a choice of direction, and I suspect 'more EU' won't be acceptable to the majority.

Likewise in the UK. We were only given a choice of pro-EU parties, which was no choice at all, until UKIP came along. I wonder how many other people in other EU countries are given the same 'no choice'?

The ridiculously high salaries, pensions and perks for EU officials, and most of it tax free, isn't an accident. Buy the politicians and you buy the country.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• This threads contains 1,886 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or log-in to continue reading.