Brexit and EU general chit chat

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • My anger is rising to new levels , WE HAVE A REMAINER IN CHARGE OF BREXIT , WHATVELSE DO WE NEED TO SAY

Yes, it winds me up too. Likewise with the remainers who claim we are a 'tiny entity' that cannot survive without the EU. If we are a 'tiny entity' then I wonder what wonderful descriptions they have for countries with smaller economies.

Boris and co promised things that are perfectly normal for an independent sovereign country. If the UK, as an independent sovereign country, can't have those things, they should ask why!

Remainers see no wrong in the EU , the fact the EU have cleverly , and they deserve credit for it , entwined so many things together that they control everything should really irk normal thinking human beings.

• Let's face it, we have to stay in the EU. It's the right place to be for a country that can't govern itself and where alienated citizens can't express themselves in any other way except to bitch about it and pinpoint examples of contradictions, hypocrisy or plain incompetence, as if these are dramatic revelations .

On the Right side of the House of Commons we have a motley bunch of self-seeking argumentative twits. On the Left side we have a semi-organised bunch of power-crazed hyenas who can smell blood and the opportunity to inhabit Number 10 and rob the rich, to pay the poor and themselves, although not necessarily in that order.

At least being stuck in the EU will restrain the hyenas from completely destroying what will become an EU asset.

All this stuff about sovereignty, British law, global trade deals, border control, NHS standards, mental health, crime prevention, social benefits, a second runway, HS2, Defence ........ for all of this we are holed beneath the waterline by a deficit of money, talent and competence. Our best future for survival, or extended remission is to walk arm in arm with the EU to oblivion over the next few decades. It is better than rapidly building food banks and providing emergency medical aid to enable street sleepers to postpone dying by a few weeks.

• Actually I prefer WW3 to EU membership.

So keep it if you like, but don't expect a peaceful and stable country if you do.

• Actually I prefer WW3 to EU membership.

So keep it if you like, but don't expect a peaceful and stable country if you do.

Snap! I think there will be mass civil unrest if we are kept in the EU after all the promises made by politicians. There will be no hiding place for those who destroy democracy.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I think more of them will get murdered. I think that's imminent.

I'll go that far.

I'm not really sure the UK will break up Ukraine style. But it could do. though I think not.

I don't really see why anyone should obey the law if this isn't a democracy.

Civil disobedience. And a new culture of it.

I wouldn't raise my kids to respect and obey the law for example.

Wouldn't encourage anyone to vote or be socially conducive towards people who worked for the state.

I can't see myself hurting people or breaking things. Or marching anywhere.

But I could see myself not paying taxes, and ignoring court summons and bailiffs.

Not shopping people to the police and not condoning violence against the state.

The smartest thing I could do is leave.

Renounce my nationality and reflag.

That would be a bitter pill. To quit without a fight.

• I'm too old to emigrate now, but if I were young I would leave. It breaks my heart to see what our country has become. I expect I will end my days in the gulags if things keep on the way they are.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I haven't surrendered yet.

I had a job lined up in China on referendum day.

I don't want to live here as an angry person.

That's not my future.

• Just finished listening to more commentators and why do they let them continually spew out this "Boris , Gove and Farage promised things we cannot deliver" , NONE OF THEM ARE IN CHARGE OF NEGOTIATIONS! , perhaps if they were , we might be on the way out!

Is that LBC again?

Bit late to deliver anything now as we near the end phase of negotiations, unless those negotiations never end...

I'm too old to emigrate now, but if I were young I would leave. It breaks my heart to see what our country has become. I expect I will end my days in the gulags if things keep on the way they are.

We're just going through a "phase" Fidget or is that a shift? The country is doing just fine, but there was always going to be resistance when something like Brexit happens.

• I teach, but I also wanted to work as an export checker on the side.

You know, that guy at the dock's who checks that the goods are what they say they are before payment is made.

There is just so many job offers for me in China. It's easy and close to Japan where I'd like to retire.

I don't want to just teach. China is the land of opportunity.

The plan is to end up in Japan, but at that time, the Chinese prospects were looking like fun and exciting.

I'd like to take a lot of money with me to Japan. Soften the culture shock.

• I would have thought baff, that there should be plenty of jobs for people in your line of work coming up with Brexit happening (perhaps...) But if not, then go where you get the best deal for yourself. Although, perhaps it might be wise to wait and see how the trade tensions between China and America play out first.

Come to mention it, I don't think I have seen any jobs for lots more UK customs/border officials yet.

• There is always plenty of teaching jobs.

I tend to only take the plum ones these days.

My job opportunity as export controller in China has since past.

China will fold to America is my bet. And soon.

They have announced the budget for more customs officials. No idea where they advertise those jobs however.

• I know they announced the budget, but 29th March 2019 is not that far away and people need to start being trained up. Almost makes you think they're not bothering to recruit because they (the government) know something, we don't.

Interesting remark about China there. We have a thread somewhere here about the trade tensions between China and America, so I might pick your brains on this subject more in the future, as you're in a position to judge this things.

• I don't think there is a lot of training required.

Customs deals with international trade currently.

There are no new systems required. Plenty of staff already doing the job.

Maybe some extra staff at Calais to cope with the greater numbers of goods that will be tariffable.

All these problems are "no problems" to anyone with a can do mentality.

You have to actively want to fail at these things before you will be able to.

• All these problems are "no problems" to anyone with a can do mentality.

You have to actively want to fail at these things before you will be able to.

Excellent summing of the problem and solution

It would make a good recruitment poster headline for emigrating to the US .... if only they would let me in

• Excellent summing of the problem and solution

It would make a good recruitment poster headline for emigrating to the US .... if only they would let me in

You'd drive them round the bend, before you even set foot on their shores,:P in fact Trump would probably put you in one of those detention facilities. At least you can spell detention, unlike him.^^ And I agree, it was a excellent summing up.

• Seriously, I do think the country is in fine shape overall, it's just the present government and specifically our prime minister who is not strong and stable, despite her slogans to the contrary.

You're right, we're in fine shape, Theresa May and her merry men are just a small impediment but nothing that can't be put right with a straightjacket and mouth gag, coupled with the no-nonsense decisiveness of Tory MP's, the easy-going charm and largesse of DUP and the wisdom of the crowd (aka the electorate)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!