Brexit and EU general chit chat

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Piers Morgan having a spat with Anna Soubry over the shambles of May's plan , as he correctly said " you put a Remainer in charge of something she voted against" , hooray , it is finally dawning on some people , it has only taken 2 plus years!!

• May is to meet the cabinet tomorrow, but singly and not as a group, to discuss the withdrawal agreement.

Why is the withdrawal being agreed without the future relationship also being agreed, as stipulated in Article 50???? It absolutely stinks. I hope they tell her to stuff it where the sun don't shine.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I've just been watching a clip from a political program wher a leaver was saying the Euro banks will require huge bailouts in the near future, and a remainer saying the UK is exempt from participating in euro bailouts thanks to Camerons veto.

Doesn't he realise that, following Camerons veto, the EU changed the rules. We no longer have 'bail outs' ... we make loans, and every EU member contributes, whether in the eurozone or not. The evil part of these 'loans' is that, in the event of default, the loans are repaid by .... guess who ... the EU members who make the loans in the first place! So we 'loan' them money, and if the recipient defaults on the loan we repay the loan to ourselves!

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• May is to meet the cabinet tomorrow, but singly and not as a group, to discuss the withdrawal agreement.

Ahh, the old Tony Blair tactic and we have a dodgy dossier too.

Why is the withdrawal being agreed without the future relationship also being agreed, as stipulated in Article 50???? It absolutely stinks. I hope they tell her to stuff it where the sun don't shine.

It's what I hate about this as all the goalposts have shifted.

The implementation period was meant to be the period when the withdrawal agreement and future relationship with the EU was put into place, and then it became the transitional period to discuss the future relationship and now its a open ended who knows what.

As I've said all along, I would have preferred some deal with the EU, but not at all costs. I hope we walk away, but I suspect that the Cabinet may just capitulate.

According to the Beeb earlier, May is going to have the vote on the deal right before Christmas to pressure the MPs into going along with it, but lets hope it falls apart before then and don't forget we always have the French to rely on to put the spanner in the works, if all else fails.:)

• I've just been watching a clip from a political program wher a leaver was saying the Euro banks will require huge bailouts in the near future, and a remainer saying the UK is exempt from participating in euro bailouts thanks to Camerons veto.

Doesn't he realise that, following Camerons veto, the EU changed the rules. We no longer have 'bail outs' ... we make loans, and every EU member contributes, whether in the eurozone or not. The evil part of these 'loans' is that, in the event of default, the loans are repaid by .... guess who ... the EU members who make the loans in the first place! So we 'loan' them money, and if the recipient defaults on the loan we repay the loan to ourselves!

Plus, don't forget the IMF. Our money didn't go into their direct EU bailouts before, it went via the IMF.

• What's the use of 650 MP's who will not carry out the will of the majority?

I agree, get rid of the MP's; just have a talented executive panel of a dozen or so bi- or non-partisan decision-makers

Forget the will of the majority. 52:48 is hardly the will of a majority, any more than if they'd all tossed a coin

Actually, forget referendums. That's like choosing 650 dogs and then doing your own barking

• That's like choosing 650 dogs and then doing your own barking

That's what has to happen, I'm afraid, when the 650 dogs (apt description) are ****** useless.

• That's what has to happen, I'm afraid, when the 650 dogs (apt description) are ****** useless.

If we could only define "useless" then we would be able to set up a professional body to weed out the ****** useless

as opposed to the * useless

I'n not saying MP's have to be professionally qualified like lawyers, doctors, nurses, electricians, oil boiler service engineers, teachers etc but they should at least have a CV to be on public record when they are campaigning to be elected as an MP. After all, their qualities do affect people's lives.

Also, as you probably know, there is a government body that investigates complaints about misleading, false or unsubstantiated content in advertising. There ought to be an independent body that does the same for MP's, government manifestos and candidates campaigning to be elected as an MP.

I'm not saying that would have filtered out Theresa May but maybe as one advances to a higher position in politics, additional test criteria could be required, eg sanity.

• Also, as you probably know, there is a government body that investigates complaints about misleading, false or unsubstantiated content in advertising. There ought to be an independent body that does the same for MP's, government manifestos and candidates campaigning to be elected as an MP.

That's a great suggestion, and one I would wholeheartedly support. The findings should also be on public record.

• The European issue is not one of qualification, but of simple belief. You either believe The Project to create a United States of Europe, or you do not.

Many of the politicians are properly qualified either in law or business, it's what they believe is what counts here.

You're right, qualifications are not enough of a quality filter.

I'm not afraid of a United States of Europe, more afraid of a United States of Germany (but treaty or no treaty, nothing has to be forever)

I would have liked countries to govern themselves rather than be answerable to a U.S.E. but the reality is that the UK is becoming increasingly ungovernable as a sovereign state, partly because popular democracy has gone to people's heads and partly because partisanship is sabotaging the decision-making process in the House of Commons - politics is supposed to be the art of compromise, catering to the majority but also safeguarding the interests of the minority, especially when the minority is only 2% short of having equal weight. Since the House of Commons and voters are unable or unwilling to pursue that fundamental need of democracy, yes, let's join the United States of Europe - how can it be any worse? Compared to our political assembly the EU looks to me a class act.

As this is obviously an uncompromising Brexit forum, I expect, as a minority member, to get short shrift for this comment!

• Things tend to go in waves or is that circles? We've had periods of instability before, we'll get over this. It's not as if the country is facing imminent destruction, like in World War 2.

So, I don't get crap Danish bacon anymore filled with everything but pork, I can live with that. I don't drink, so French wines are of no interest to me. I always eat Cheddar and mostly other UK produced produce. I don't drive, so couldn't care less if we lose access to German cars.

It's not a disaster if we crash out of the EU now, he says not living in Kent by the port..:|

• I can't remember who said it, but someone commented that all the biggest economies (bar Germany and the UK) trade with the EU via WTO, and they do a lot better than Germany. It is also said that Germany is on the brink of recession. The EU economies are going downhill, although the propaganda will say everything is wonderful, with economies growing and all of the EU 'united'. When do they ever say anything different, even though the ship is sinking as we speak.

WTO may bring short term pain, but that is a big improvement compared to the long term pain of EU membership. The populace is not happy with the current situation, and it will get far worse if we remain in the EU. The EU is bringing Europe to it's knees and creating enemies everywhere, both within and outside the EU.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!