UK/EU future deal. Should the UK accept a level playing field?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • :"Britain will one day rejoin the European Union, one of the bloc's senior figures has predicted. Guy Verhofstadt, chairman of the EU's Brexit Steering Group, said he agreed with the assessment of a British MEP that Brexit will be reversed.

Labour's Seb Dance argued the UK was taking a \"sabbatical\" from the bloc and would be back in the future. Mr Verhofstadt told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: \"I think that will happen, yes, (but) it's difficult to say when. \"There will be a generation, the young generation coming in the coming decades, who will say later, 'We want to go back'. \"It will happen. Maybe you will not see it in my life, but it will happen

https://news.sky.com/story/eus-guy-…happen-11910596

And what it will cost as our future generations crawl back on bended knee begging to rejoin

He's one of many who seems to have an almost religious attachment to the failing EU.

We will never go back, at least while the EU remains the monolithic bureaucratic structure it is, and because I believe it will eventually collapse in on itself, there would be no future opportunity to rejoin anyway, even if we wanted to.

In any case, when the younger generation grow older, they will see the real benefits of Brexit and wonder how they could have been taken in by all the remainer propoganda in their tender years.

Look back and laugh out loud!

• He's one of many who seems to have an almost religious attachment to the failing EU.

We will never go back, at least while the EU remains the monolithic bureaucratic structure it is, and because I believe it will eventually collapse in on itself, there would be no future opportunity to rejoin anyway, even if we wanted to.

In any case, when the younger generation grow older, they will see the real benefits of Brexit and wonder how they could have been taken in by all the remainer propoganda in their tender years.

Look back and laugh out loud!

I admire your optimism

However the signs are already there to show what a disaster we are rushing into

• Food prices go up and down naturally, and the seasonal nature of food contributes to that. It is nothing to do with Brexit, the impact of which will not hit until 2021.

I don't buy the price rise scare. It is not only the EU we will trade with in the future - we can get our food from elsewhere.

If the EU impose tariffs (which they have said they don't want to do), we will just impose tariffs back. Who do you think will benefit from that?

Where elsewhere are we going to get our food from?

Flying in from S America?

Food is no longer seasonal whilst we have supplies from the EU

• Why do you think we won't still be importing food from the EU?

We'll also still be importing food from non-EU countries as we do now.

Tariffs

The EU is not going to fall over itself to accommodate the UK

Look at the latest proposal from us

"Boris Johnson unveils strict limits on unskilled migrants "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/…illed-migrants/

Hardly likely to endear us to the EU

And the rub is that we desperately need these workers, farmers, care home owners, menial jobs - all for jobs that British workers will not do

All this to pursue some dogma

• I admire your optimism

However the signs are already there to show what a disaster we are rushing into

I don't think so, bryanluc. Just take the example of tariffs. We keep hearing from the ardent remainers that the EU will impose tariffs on us if we leave. But says who? The political declaration clearly states that an important objective - supported by both sides - will be a non-tariff agreement.

Here's why the EU does not like the idea of tariffs being applied. The EU exports more to us than we do to them.

In 2018, UK exports to the EU were £291 billion. UK imports from the EU were £357 billion.

So, if the EU slapped tariffs on us, we could simply slap them on EU exports to Britain. That means the UK makes a profit and the EU has to find the money to make up the difference.

Brexit is only a disaster in the minds of those who don't possess the imagination to understand the wonderful opportunities that lie ahead or are financially dependent in some way through our membership of the EU.

The rest of us have nothing to worry about.

• It is not dogma. It's all about freeing ourselves from the shackles of the EU.

As for tariffs, I have explained elsewhere today that the EU is not in favour of tariffs restricting trade with the UK. That will hurt them in the pocket more than us.

• True, unless they make the price prohibitive

You can see the price of food creeping up already,potatoes for instance

Not going to happen.

As far as the price of spuds is concerned, we haven't left the EU yet, so your comment is rather premature.

If we are going to blame Brexit for all the price rises that happen, hopefully you will be just as happy to point out where they are coming down as well.

Food has always impacted on seasonal supply issues. Nothing new there.

• Food has always impacted on seasonal supply issues. Nothing new there.

As I mentioned up thread the seasonal aspect is negated by the produce coming from the EU, Spain for example

• 513 million people live in the EU

67 million people live in the UK

Do you seriously think the EU is going to bend over backwards to assist us when they have an enormous market of their own

We have chosen to leave, why do you think they will have any concerns for us

• So on your atlas, the EU is the only geographical area shown and the rest is just empty space?

I bought blackberries the other day and they were from Mexico. The strawberries I have in my fridge right now are from Morocco.

Why not S America as well?

It's the airmiles (the environment), and the costs

• 513 million people live in the EU

67 million people live in the UK

Do you seriously think the EU is going to bend over backwards to assist us when they have an enormous market of their own

We have chosen to leave, why do you think they will have any concerns for us

I suppose you are of the view, then, that the EU would be happy to stump up tariffs for their exports to the UK? Of course they are not, which is why they are committed to a non-tariff agreement.

Remainers going on about tariffs are just scaremongering.

• I suppose you are of the view, then, that the EU would be happy to stump up tariffs for their exports to the UK? Of course they are not, which is why they are committed to a non-tariff agreement.

Remainers going on about tariffs are just scaremongering.

They will sell their products in their own market under favourable terms

• Do give it a rest. The UK has a plan to be carbon neutral by 2050, which is more than can be said for any other country.

So we're setting a good example by using up extra airmiles

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!