Brexit and EU general chit chat

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • You are so negative and hostile in your belief of the EU that you really believe what you post, don't you?

The majority of people in this country are looking forward to leaving the bureaucratic leftist EU, and they would find your comments completely alien to what they believe.

We have always been uneasy partners with the EU, but now we've had enough. We can do better without. And we will prove you wrong.

The epitome of negativity and hostility is the above post. That's your post; but let's not allow it to degenerate into your personal issues.

So, tell us: what means do you have to realise your meaningless optimism and bravado? I mean, after all the cries of "we've had enough of the EU"; "the EU needs us more than we need them"; "Believe in Britain"; etcetera, etcetera, etcetera -- what do you have to give substance to your positivity and optimism.

For example: can an FTA with the US replace the loss of the fricitionless agreement with the EU? If so, how? Please don't start with how you feel about the EU and Brexit.

• That 'deluded opinion' happens to be correct. Google it for yourself. The UK is the world's sixth biggest economy.

You don't have to buy goods from China - that is your choice. You get what you pay for.

The UK is the world's sixth biggest economy on account of its EU membership. Nobody can escape it.

• Government planning new laws to force Channel migrants back to France

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/governmen…-141822661.html

The way I read it; Madame Priti is using -- horror of horrors! -- an EU law to force Channel refugees back to Calais.

But the UN convention says refugees can pass the first safe country and move on to another safe country where they can claim asylum. It is the Dublin Agreement -- an EU law -- that says that refugees can be sent back to the first safe country.

I thought Brexit Britain wants to break thousands of miles away from the EU so why is Madame Priti using an EU law to send back refugees to France? It's like, "No, EU. Britain isn't following your rules, anymore...Except for those that suit us!"

I am almost sure I am getting this article all wrong.

• Yemen is dying...

In front of our eyes the country is starving. more than 5 million people in Yemen are on the verge of starvation!

I see human beings in desperate need of help.

Brexiters see scroungers.

Yemen.jpg

I say "Send them food, or for those who can get here, let them come."

Brexiters say "Charity begins at home. Send them back."

• You have a vivid, and warped imagination, Jenny.

In any case, this has nothing whatsoever to do with leaving the EU.

• The epitome of negativity and hostility is the above post. That's your post; but let's not allow it to degenerate into your personal issues.

So, tell us: what means do you have to realise your meaningless optimism and bravado? I mean, after all the cries of "we've had enough of the EU"; "the EU needs us more than we need them"; "Believe in Britain"; etcetera, etcetera, etcetera -- what do you have to give substance to your positivity and optimism.

For example: can an FTA with the US replace the loss of the fricitionless agreement with the EU? If so, how? Please don't start with how you feel about the EU and Brexit.

I have no personal issues on this. The British voted to leave the EU. I rest my case.

• What if France refuses to accept them?

That's the confusion in my head. If we were still in the EU; Britain could apply the Dublin Agreement to force France. But we're already out and that's because we don't want to follow EU rules anymore; be free; independent; take back control.

But here's Madame Priti using EU rules when we already said we're not using them anymore. Shouldn't she grumble at the UNHCR office instead?

Maybe I'm getting it all wrong.

• You have a vivid, and warped imagination, Jenny.

In any case, this has nothing whatsoever to do with leaving the EU.

The situation regarding Yemen specifically is nothing to do with leaving the EU, but the mentality of the British people towards foreign aid and allowing migrants fleeing from famine, starvation and war to come here has been engendered by the Brexit vote..

Brexit has enabled an uncaring mentality of indifference to the suffering of others to flourish. It has encouraged those who propogate the mentality of "Charity begins and ends at home" to become mainstream thought.

Today it is Yemen. Tomorrow it will be somewhere else. The source of refugees may be different, but the mentality of the British people will be the same. And it began with the Brexit vote.

Before then we were far more caring, compassionate and tolerant as a people. My father once told me how he "ran the world" to raise money for Ethiopian famine relief. .... How millions of people responded to the call..... How Michael Buerke's film from Ethiopia touched the conscience of the entire country. I doubt such an item would touch many people here today.

You say I have a vivid imagination. What a pity you don't. You're unable to see because you don't care. The lives of other people mean nothing to you.

You criticise me because that is all you're capable of doing. It's all you've got.

• Yemen is like a modern era Ethiopia. Back before your time I guess we had live aid to save the starving masses of Ethiopia and off the back of it we got one of the best Music Concerts the world ever saw but anyway. We started to pour aid into Ethiopia in 1985 when the population was 40 million. Now in 2020 we are still pouring aid into Ethiopia even though it has to a great extent been transformed in the intervening years with Addis Ababa now a relatively modern city by a lot of African standards. The population in the meantime has exploded off the back of western aid and is now approx 100 million. In 35 years the population of a group of starving peasants has grown by the same as the current UK population (ish). And there I think lies the problem.

Whilst there is no doubt that we need to do something from our relative comfort and security of the west, we need to make sure we do not fuel another population explosion. Aid has to come as a package not just food, water and money. There needs to be some education and importantly birth control/family planning which is sorely missing right now.

Obviously family planning will grate against the cultural norms of Yemen of that I have no doubt but we cannot just feed starving people without some eye on the potential unwanted consequences i.e. a population explosion. We don't have population explosions over here except by immigration so they should play by the same rules.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Government planning new laws to force Channel migrants back to France

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/governmen…-141822661.html

The way I read it; Madame Priti is using -- horror of horrors! -- an EU law to force Channel refugees back to Calais.

But the UN convention says refugees can pass the first safe country and move on to another safe country where they can claim asylum. It is the Dublin Agreement -- an EU law -- that says that refugees can be sent back to the first safe country.

I thought Brexit Britain wants to break thousands of miles away from the EU so why is Madame Priti using an EU law to send back refugees to France? It's like, "No, EU. Britain isn't following your rules, anymore...Except for those that suit us!"

I am almost sure I am getting this article all wrong.

So Schmaltz, you want to let in the refugees. These people are more often than not Muslims who can't speak English, have nothing to offer the country, almost certainly young men who have run away rather than stood and fought, and will almost certainly create ghettos anywhere you put them. Angela Merkel just loves em, so lets put them on a plain and send them to Germany, because we don't want them over here thank you

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• So Schmaltz, you want to let in the refugees. These people are more often than not Muslims who can't speak English, have nothing to offer the country, almost certainly young men who have run away rather than stood and fought, and will almost certainly create ghettos anywhere you put them. Angela Merkel just loves em, so lets put them on a plain and send them to Germany, because we don't want them over here thank you

Oh, no, no! You don't get to twist things. The article is not a matter of whether or not I want to let in refugees. It is about that specific Brexit dream of ridding Britain of the EU altogether including and most notably, their rules and laws.

Remember your Brexit slogan "We are not rule takers!?" Well. We're now out of the EU so we're not supposed to be using or following EU rules anymore. So, how come your Madame Priti is about to use an EU rule to force the return of refugees back to France?

Why, tell me. That or tell me if I'm wrong in my reading of it.

• Oh, no, no! You don't get to twist things. The article is not a matter of whether or not I want to let in refugees. It is about that specific Brexit dream of ridding Britain of the EU altogether including and most notably, their rules and laws.

Remember your Brexit slogan "We are not rule takers!?" Well. We're now out of the EU so we're not supposed to be using or following EU rules anymore. So, how come your Madame Priti is about to use an EU rule to force the return of refugees back to France?

Why, tell me. That or tell me if I'm wrong in my reading of it.

There you go again with your "facts".

This is what it says on Government Websites right now:

"There is now a transition period until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements.

The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period.

New rules will take effect on 1 January 2021."

I highlighted the appropriate bit of that for you.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• It is a fact that we're out of the EU. It is a fact that it is hypocritical, at best, to declare no regulatory alignment at the start of the transition period but then use EU rules to our advantage in the middle of it. It is a fact that I have qualified my argument for any misinterpretation on my part. So....????:whistling::whistling:

• It is a fact that we're out of the EU. It is a fact that it is hypocritical, at best, to declare no regulatory alignment at the start of the transition period but then use EU rules to our advantage in the middle of it. It is a fact that I have qualified my argument for any misinterpretation on my part. So....????:whistling::whistling:

Yes we have left the EU in name only and we are now in the Transition period where no rules have changed. Therefore we still abide by all the rules and "enjoy" all the benefits of membership. We are currently not "back in control", that starts on 1st January 2021.

As we are still governed by and accepting the governance of the full suite of EU regulation it is not even remotely hypocritical to use the laws that we must obey whether we like it or not. Let me be honest, not everything about the EU was bad, but the FoM was too high a price to pay, so we had no choice but to get out.

Why do you find this an issue on any level?

• Yes we have left the EU in name only and we are now in the Transition period where no rules have changed. Therefore we still abide by all the rules and "enjoy" all the benefits of membership. We are currently not "back in control", that starts on 1st January 2021.

As we are still governed by and accepting the governance of the full suite of EU regulation it is not even remotely hypocritical to use the laws that we must obey whether we like it or not. Let me be honest, not everything about the EU was bad, but the FoM was too high a price to pay, so we had no choice but to get out.

Why do you find this an issue on any level?

Because the issue goes back to Britain's credibility. And IMO, we need to maintain credibility and integrity now, more than ever, because we are now on our own in seeking trade deals and further diplomatic relations.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!