Brexit and EU general chit chat

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • No deal has been on the cards for some time. It comes as no surprise to most of us.

Leaving the EU will boost our economy, with or without a deal. There are plenty of opportunities out there we have yet to tap into. This will be the best thing that's happened to the UK for a very long time.

What opportunities are you talking about? The US-UK Vassal State Trade Agreement?

We're just trying to recover the opportunities we already had but so "very wisely" renounced.

• You do know that most of the so called daft EU rules and regs were in fact dreamed up by British civil servants for us, straight bananas for example. The same civil servants who will be doing the same post Brexit

Ok. Just on the specific bananas point and it's one I've made many times before. The rule was not daft. The rule was made to bring increased efficiency in packing bananas which would lower prices. Fruit off all different shapes and sizes is harder to price up and deal with.

I might have voted Brexit, but not all EU is daft, far from it, especially when it was Britons that wrote most of it.

• Ok. Just on the specific bananas point and it's one I've made many times before. The rule was not daft. The rule was made to bring increased efficiency in packing bananas which would lower prices. Fruit off all S

Sorry, I should have said cucumbers but the same principle applies

There is a big market for so called deformed fruit and veg that Morrisons for example have latched on to

• Extracts from The Independent:

---------------

Brexit: Michael Gove says border controls in Boris Johnson’s deal shouldn’t be implemented as they will anger unionists

New border controls between Northern Ireland and Great Britain included in Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal should not be implemented because they will undermine support for the agreement among unionists, the UK government has said. Michael Gove, who is overseeing the implementation of the Northern Ireland protocol, told MPs that the EU’s “maximalist” interpretation of the agreement – signed by the prime minister in January – would be unsustainable.

While the UK government accepts that goods moving from Great Britain to Northern Ireland will be subject to new controls, it disputes whether businesses moving goods in the opposite direction across the Irish sea should have to fill in “exit summary declarations” as envisaged by the withdrawal agreement.

Michel Barnier said earlier this month that the EU would insist on the checks, telling reporters: “Some of the objectives set out in this command paper – such as avoiding exit declarations on goods moving from NI to GB – are incompatible with the legal commitments accepted by the UK in the protocol.”

One EU official told The Independent: “Exit declarations are required and it’s not just the Commission who says that, it’s the withdrawal agreement that says that.” A leaked Treasury analysis made public by Labour during the December 2019 election campaign showed that parts of the UK government also believed that declarations were required at the time.

-------

If the issue of exit declaration was in order when the WA was signed in January; why is the government now making a U-turn and politicising it -- flexing our muscle or just being difficult?

• The withdrawal agreement may contain that provision. However, I would like to know what difference this makes to the EU. As long as goods headed in their direction are checked, that's all they need to be worried about, isn't it?

Boris has been consistent in his view that border controls are not required as far as the UK is concerned.

• The withdrawal agreement may contain that provision. However, I would like to know what difference this makes to the EU. As long as goods headed in their direction are checked, that's all they need to be worried about, isn't it?

Boris has been consistent in his view that border controls are not required as far as the UK is concerned.

Ireland is still in the EU and with no border controls goods and people can just flow in from Ireland to N Ireland to England

So why leave the EU?

• Ireland is still in the EU and with no border controls goods and people can just flow in from Ireland to N Ireland to England

So why leave the EU?

My point was, why is the EU concerned? Surely they should only worry about goods coming into the EU. How we manage what comes to us is our concern.

Immigration, however, is what we should be worried about.

• My point was, why is the EU concerned? Surely they should only worry about goods coming into the EU. How we manage what comes to us is our concern.

Immigration, however, is what we should be worried about.

There will be a roaring trade in migrants into Eire, then into N Ireland and the UK

• Check people but don't check goods. Seems straight forward enough to me!

It's border controls that check goods and people, virtually impossible between N Ireland and Ireland with all the myriad lanes and roads that cross between the two

Security services couldn't control it, hence the IRA cold come and go at will. This is why Johnson has abandoned controls there

• It's border controls that check goods and people, virtually impossible between N Ireland and Ireland with all the myriad lanes and roads that cross between the two

Security services couldn't control it, hence the IRA cold come and go at will. This is why Johnson has abandoned controls there

The point I am making, it's the people that need to be checked. We will not have free movement of people when independence day arrives.

• The point I am making, it's the people that need to be checked. We will not have free movement of people when independence day arrives.

And the point I am making is that you will very much have free movement across the Irish border because the government is abandoning controls there

So if it is free movement that is your only concern there is no point in leaving thw EU

• The point I am making, it's the people that need to be checked. We will not have free movement of people when independence day arrives.

Hope you doesnt mind that the other side doesnt grant brits free movement as well.

Im quite sure that Germany, France, Spain will demand that Britts can only enter their nations with Visa.

• And the point I am making is that you will very much have free movement across the Irish border because the government is abandoning controls there

So if it is free movement that is your only concern there is no point in leaving thw EU

I think you need to re-read your history books, Bryan. There has been a common travel area in the island of Ireland since 1925 (apart from during the second world war years until 1952) and so the lack of a border simply means that we revert to the arrangements that were in place before we joined the EU.

You may be under the mistaken impression that EU citizens can arrive at the Irish ports without checks, and then simply travel into the UK via the Irish border. Not true. Ireland is not part of the Shengen zone. This means that non-EU nationals need an Irish visa to enter the Republic.

I have given you a list of reasons why I support Brexit - although free movement is a concern, I have much bigger concerns than that.

• Hope you doesnt mind that the other side doesnt grant brits free movement as well.

Im quite sure that Germany, France, Spain will demand that Britts can only enter their nations with Visa.

So what? I have no concerns whatever if they do. They'd better be careful, though. They make a lot of money from British tourists, so I doubt they will make it too difficult to holiday there.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!