Political Correctness

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The crazy thing is that nine out of ten people (at least) believe political correctness is a daft concept and has gone much to far. However, as the UK's snowflakes, and the BBC think otherwise, we continue to get more and more PC by the day. It's fashionable for a certain generation to become offended on another persons behalf, but when asked they try and convince you they are offended themselves. Sorry, but they are lying bastards. I tried to bring my son up as a right wing bigot, very much like myself, but failed badly. In fact, I was doing quite well until he went to university. As well as being brainwashed by the uni establishment, he met a rather plain looking girl who was obviously brought up in a Guardian reading household. Twelve years down the line he still lives with her, and still thinks multiculturalism is a great idea, and uses the word "diversity" on a regular basis. Whilst I love him, any more than a few hours of his company and I want lock him in his room. For anyone who actually thinks PC is a good thing, please let me say this. I do not condone bad behaviour, and I do not condone being rude or impolite to anyone unless they deserve it. In short, not being PC does not mean you are either uncourteous or open minded.

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• The problem with political correctness is everyone has their own definition of it. My lefty liberal son believes that if you are not PC your not being civil. which is just daft. I am civil and polite to everyone, but I am the least PC person you will ever meet. I use words on a daily basis that I wouldn't use on a public forum, and you can probably guess some of them. I really don't care if people get indirectly offended, because to be offended on someone else's behalf is stupid. For example, I will happily use the "N" word when talking to white friends, but wouldn't use it when talking to a black person. In my mind to avoid the former is being PC, and to do the latter is courteous.

We are constantly being told that everyone is equal, but anyone with half a brain cell knows this complete rubbish. The fact is that people of various sexes, races, and whatever are different, but to state an opinion that one is better than another is now forbidden. Fortunately I live in an area which is typically little Britain, and have friends who think very much like me. There is very little that can ever be said that will offend me, so I speak to others presuming they are as thick skinned as me, and if they aren't, I don't really care.

• Not sure what I think about this. :/

Farage has complained. He had a milkshake thrown at him recently and Brand's joke said that it shouldn't have been a milkshake, but acid on the BBC radio show.

Politicians can be attacked, think about the Labour MP that was killed, but this was meant as a joke. The prime minister has asked the BBC to intervene which they did and removed Brand's joke from the BBC radio show. Meanwhile, the police are investigating this as incitement to violence.

If we now say that the current prime minister should be hung over her Brexit inaction, are we committing a criminal offence?

At what point does a joke turn into a criminal offence?.

• Not sure what I think about this. :/

Farage has complained. He had a milkshake thrown at him recently and Brand's joke said that it shouldn't have been a milkshake, but acid on the BBC radio show.

Politicians can be attacked, think about the Labour MP that was killed, but this was meant as a joke. The prime minister has asked the BBC to intervene which they did and removed Brand's joke from the BBC radio show. Meanwhile, the police are investigating this as incitement to violence.

If we now say that the current prime minister should be hung over her Brexit inaction, are we committing a criminal offence?

At what point does a joke turn into a criminal offence?.

Answering your last question, I hate to say this, but our country has been become so stupid , highly strung, suggestible and feral, that some jokes put crazy ideas into some people's already crazy heads. I don't think that makes it automatically a criminal offence (intent is the crucial factor) but it could certainly be bad judgement and could be grounds for uncontested dismissal.

Nigel Farage made the quite valid comment that if he had made that kind of joke the police would have been at his doorstep within hours.

• What we need is a freedom of speech law.

There does have to be some limits. At the moment those on the left can say anything they like but the right are stamped on immediatly. Hate crime is in law therefore it should be applied equally across the board.

I certainly don't think it is acceptable to say throwing acid over a brexit supporter is something that should be done as some nutter will actually be encouraged to do it.

Imagine the outcry, especially at the BBC, if somebody had suggested doing that to Jeremy Corbyn

• But she wasn't inciting, encouraging a crowd to do it, she was just saying that's what she would like to do in a fantasy world and made clear it was a fantasy.

Too many people these days are unable to distinguish the two. Witness the attacks on actors just because of the role that they have played in some soap or film.

I still think it's unaccepatble.

• POLICE are investigating comedian Jo Brand after she joked about throwing acid at politicians.

Metropolitan Police confirmed it is assessing remarks made on BBC Radio 4's Heresy programme on Tuesday following an allegation of incitement to violence.

• FFS.:S Haven't the police got something better to do with their time?

Thought this was a interesting comment from the shitmaster himself:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thought this was a interesting comment from the shitmaster himself:

Unfortunately I can't see that as my script blocker has disabled it: Possible malicious script. Normally twitter links are OK.

The BBC have now pulled the programme from the iPlayer and appologised for any offence.

• She should be prosecuted for hate speech like anybody else would be. The BBC should also suffer some penalty for allowing this to be broadcast.

Rubbish, a joke is a joke, and real life is real life. I tell jokes about absolutely anything, and if somebody gets offended that's their problem. Because Jo Brand made this joke does not mean anyone is going to throw acid over a politicians head. A comedian can tell racist jokes, it doesn't make him a racist, and Franky Boyle tells many jokes about pedos, but that doesn't make him a nonse. To be honest, if Jo Brand is to be arrested for anything, it should be for being so damn ugly. This country has has gone completely bonkers, and people need to chill out.

• Rubbish, a joke is a joke, and real life is real life. I tell jokes about absolutely anything, and if somebody gets offended that's their problem. Because Jo Brand made this joke does not mean anyone is going to throw acid over a politicians head. A comedian can tell racist jokes, it doesn't make him a racist, and Franky Boyle tells many jokes about pedos, but that doesn't make him a nonse. To be honest, if Jo Brand is to be arrested for anything, it should be for being so damn ugly. This country has has gone completely bonkers, and people need to chill out.

I wonder, does she make jokes about Muslims? Maybe that's too risky. Since Charlie Hebdo it appears many (except Boris) are afraid to criticise or make jokes about Islam, but anyone else is fair game.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!