Does the UK face a No Deal Brexit?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • A series of government papers on a “no deal” Brexit, expected to be published from next week, will cover more than 80 specific subjects ranging from blood safety to fertilisers to driving licenses, according to a provisional list leaked to BuzzFeed News.

The list – drawn together from departments across Whitehall – underlines the scope of the potential disruption to British life if the UK crashes out of the European Union in March without a withdrawal agreement. And it starkly illustrates the extent of the challenge facing officials who have been ordered to prepare for such an outcome.

Some of the reports, judging by the subject headings, will be sweeping in scope – such as those covering financial services and climate – while others will be highly specific. One report, for example, is expected to be dedicated to how a no-deal Brexit would affect the ability of UK citizens to travel with their pets.

Under current plans, the reports will be published in batches, starting as early as next week and running through September, although the timetable could slip, people familiar with the documents said.

Last month, Theresa May told a parliamentary committee there would be around 70 “technical notifications” published to advise individuals and businesses on how to prepare for a no-deal Brexit.

Finally getting their fingers pulled out.

It's quite clear that the EU's only deal is to hobble the UK as a "Vassal state". The bad deal.

• According to Sky News last night, our new Brexit Secretary, Dominic Raab, is to announce all the government measures this Thursday in case of a no deal.

I really like him. He's a hard line Brexiteer, but what is he doing working for May though?

Edit: Oops... that's exactly what Heero posted earlier.:whistling::)

• Macron backs No Deal campaign with interfering letter

Mr Macron is supporting a plan led by the Tory MP George Freeman to create a new cross-party coalition of MPs who are opposed to a no-deal Brexit.

Mr Freeman has claimed that there will be an economic meltdown if the UK withdraws from the EU without an agreement in March.

The French leader has sent a letter of support to a political rally being hosted by Mr Freeman next month.

Mr Macron has sent a letter to the Tory MP saying: “I would like to welcome your initiative and wish you all the best for the success of the new edition of this event.

Ok, I know it's the Express and they're worse than the Mail with their various rants, but for a foreign head of state to interfere in our domestic politics like this and on such an important issue, is totally unacceptable.X(

• There is just one thing puzzling me about May's 'common rulebook'. Is the intention that this applies only to trade with the EU or will this have a wider impact?

We cannot agree to this if it restricts our ability to trade with the rest of the world.

However, if it just applies to EU trade, isn't this just like the kind of clause you would find in any trade deal?

• ... Is the intention that this applies only to trade with the EU or will this have a wider impact?

We cannot agree to this if it restricts our ability to trade with the rest of the world.

However, if it just applies to EU trade, isn't this just like the kind of clause you would find in any trade deal?

As far as I am aware, the EU rules will apply to every business, just as they do now. That is one of the bones of contention with the Chequers plan. It may not stop us getting trade deals, but it will certainly make them more difficult. Chequers guarantees us none of the Brexit 'bonuses'. Chequers is so vague that it could well be used to disguise free movement (just give it another name), payment to the EU (but it won't be called 'membership fees', and all the rest of the things we want to escape from.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Heard on the radio that today's "leak" is concerning our unilateral granting of EU citizens rights regardless of the rights our UK citizens get in the event of a no deal Brexit, if this is a taste of things to come , the political temperature will rise enormously!

• Yes, I heard that too. They will qualify for benefits, even for those children that are still in their home country. I saw May being interviewed and she hedged around it, but didn't deny it.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• As far as I am aware, the EU rules will apply to every business, just as they do now. That is one of the bones of contention with the Chequers plan. It may not stop us getting trade deals, but it will certainly make them more difficult. Chequers guarantees us none of the Brexit 'bonuses'. Chequers is so vague that it could well be used to disguise free movement (just give it another name), payment to the EU (but it won't be called 'membership fees', and all the rest of the things we want to escape from.

It should only apply to EU trade, otherwise this is a no-no for me. What's it got to do with the EU how we trade with the rest of the world when we leave? Unbelievable!

• Another leak has now said we will be short of medicines in the event of a no deal Brexit, much discussion on TV this morning with the usual hysterics from Remainers, are we all being set up for something as it seems to be "leak" week ?

• This is the crux of the problem Old Boy. If we go with May's plan, then the EU will very much dictate what we can and cannot still do, regardless of May's reassurances to the contrary.

If this happens our democracy is dead , who could you seriously vote for as they are all untrustworthy ,and that is the politest thing I can say about our politicians!

• This is the crux of the problem Old Boy. If we go with May's plan, then the EU will very much dictate what we can and cannot still do, regardless of May's reassurances to the contrary.

Well,I sincerely hope that this is just the common misconception a lot of leavers have regarding May's plan. I think many people do believe that the common rulebook will apply to all trade, but her statements seem to suggest otherwise.

If it does apply only to EU trade, I don't have a problem with it. As far as I am aware, this has not been made clear.

• The Chequers white paper is very vague in parts, and contradictory in others, but it does say 'a common rule book for goods'.

It doesn't say a 'common rule book for goods intended for the EU', or 'for export to the EU', or any other way of restricting EU rule from applying to everything produced in the UK and every UK business, whether they trade with the EU or not.

We don't need a 'common rule book'. We should just need to comply with EU trading standards, just as we now comply with the trading standards of each and every country that we export goods to.

EDIT: just in case anyone wants to read it, here is the Chequers White paper:

Chequers White Paper

• The Chequers white paper is very vague in parts, and contradictory in others, but it does say 'a common rule book for goods'.

It doesn't say a 'common rule book for goods intended for the EU', or 'for export to the EU', or any other way of restricting EU rule from applying to everything produced in the UK and every UK business, whether they trade with the EU or not.

We don't need a 'common rule book'. We should just need to comply with EU trading standards, just as we now comply with the trading standards of each and every country that we export goods to.

EDIT: just in case anyone wants to read it, here is the Chequers White paper:

Chequers White Paper

Thank you, Fidget. I am inclined to believe, having skimmed through this document, that the 'common rulebook' is intended only to apply to EU/UK trade, thus giving us flexibility to make trade deals under alternative conditions with other countries.

This being the case, I think that many are under a misapprehension about this proposed arrangement.

• We've yet to hear what the EU think about May's plan, but when it first came out, they weren't keen on it.

Another leak has now said we will be short of medicines in the event of a no deal Brexit, much discussion on TV this morning with the usual hysterics from Remainers, are we all being set up for something as it seems to be "leak" week ?

Yes, rampant disease will break out without a deal and the plague will descend upon us all.:rolleyes:

I'm sure the papers will have lots of proper news soon to report when the conservative civil war starts.

• The UK will "move swiftly" to safeguard the future of EU citizens in the event of no deal being agreed, Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab has said.

After talks in Brussels, he told the BBC the UK had a "moral obligation" to people and it was "inconceivable" they would be "turfed out".

The EU, he said, must match the UK's "ambition and pragmatism" if the gaps between them were to be overcome.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see the press conference yesterday between Raab and Barnier after their meeting, but going by reports, it looks like Barnier is feeling the heat. Raab is a hard line Brexiteer.:)

I rate Raab very highly which others will know if you had seen my comments about him in the EU Withdrawal Bill, which he practically lead in the Commons most of the time. But I do not understand why he is still working for May, but I think he's far better David Davies, so we'll see how this all plays out.

But onto the story, why is he giving EU residents in the UK guarantees in the event of a no-deal, but the EU has not made such guarantees?

Taking the moral high ground is all well and good, but looking after your own country's interests first and foremost, the whole point of Brexit, should surely take precedence?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!