Senator John McCain dies

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Senator John McCain, the Vietnam war hero turned senator and presidential candidate, has died aged 81.

Mr McCain died on Saturday surrounded by his family, a short statement released by his office said.

He was diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumour in July 2017 and had been undergoing medical treatment.

From a war hero who was tortured after his capture in Vietnam to presidential candidate, John McCain was probably one of the most high profile American politicians of recent times, not least for constantly opposing his own party on matters such as Obamacare.

Considered by many in his own party to be far too liberal, he was known to have an explosive temper, but those who worked for him were very loyal to him and that is telling.

Trump may have mocked him during his presidential campaign for getting captured, but unlike Trump, he conducted himself with gravitas and honour, but his main problem was of money. He never could've been president as he was always either standing up against a Bush, who were very well funded or Obama, also well funded. Money talks over there.

Although he supported Bush's war in Iraq, he opposed the aftermath strongly and as head of the senate's foreign relation committee, he took a very aggressive stance against Putin. If had become president, he would've confronted Putin over his invasion of Ukraine unlike Obama. But unlike Bush, Ukraine never would've happened to begin with because he would've confronted Putin over his slaughter in Chechnya right when Putin began his killing sprees. The world would've been a very different place...

I sent him a few messages over Putin and he always replied with phrases like leopards don't change their spots and they need to be confronted before they bite you. I agree.

RIP John McCain.

• Trump still got into the White House though and that was after beating another Bush too. As I said, money talks over there. Not that McCain was a peasant, far from it, but his pockets didn't run as deep as his competitors.

• Not really into American politics so apart from what gets plastered over the media about the usual suspects I know very little, I had heard of John McCain but knew very little about him, but RIP anyway.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Don't worry Ron, most people wouldn't know who he is either. I couldn't name most of the current senior American politicians, apart from a handful, as we have plenty of our own politicians to worry about.

• -

Don't worry Ron, most people wouldn't know who he is either. I couldn't name most of the current senior American politicians, apart from a handful, as we have plenty of our own politicians to worry about.

I knew of him as I have an interest in military aviation , he was a A4 Skyhawk pilot and was shot down and captured in Vietnam , suffered greatly too.

• Yes and as you pointed out, this was something Trump mocked him for while running to become president. Not that Trump ever served in Vietnam or any other conflict for that matter.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!