Tax avoiders blacklisted from honours

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • In my opinion, the whole honours set up needs a big shakedown. I hope this is just the start. Why should people get honours for doing a job they are well paid for? If we gave honours to every person who did their job well there would be millions getting honours. Likewise with honours going to those who 'donate' to political parties. They are just 'buying' awards, aren't they?

Honours should be for people who help others, with no thought of reward. There are millions of people who fit this category, so the bar would need to be set pretty high.

I know a bit about tax avoidance/evasion schemes. They may not be strictly illegal (although plenty are illegal, and are evasion dressed up as avoidance), but they bend the rules so far by their generous 'interpretations' that it's amazing they get away with it. It's also a get rich quick scheme the scheme providers and introducers. Their contracts leave all of the risk on the punter while they walk away with huge fees and no risk involved. Likewise for the tax barristers who 'approve' these schemes to give them legitimacy. Did you know that there is a group insurance scheme for tax barristers, so any claim against one that increases insurance costs is 'paid' by all? There is no deterrent to stop them acting in a risky or dodgy way, except eventual striking off, but that happens so rarely it is hardly a threat. Even then, the reputation of the group means the 'naughty ones' are defended by all.

The government introduced a law to financially punish serial dodgy scheme providers, but amazingly, they have never used it! Not once! I wonder why?

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Here's the story:

HM Revenue and Customs' reported policy of blocking people from getting honours if they are found to have avoided tax has been backed by Sir Vince Cable.

Celebrities who use lawful but controversial schemes are being "blacklisted" to protect the reputation of the honours list, says the Times.

A Freedom of Information request showed a traffic light system was used to identify an individual's suitability.

• In my opinion, the whole honours set up needs a big shakedown. I hope this is just the start. Why should people get honours for doing a job they are well paid for? If we gave honours to every person who did their job well there would be millions getting honours. Likewise with honours going to those who 'donate' to political parties. They are just 'buying' awards, aren't they?

Honours should be for people who help others, with no thought of reward. There are millions of people who fit this category, so the bar would need to be set pretty high.

I agree Fidget. Out of interest, what do you think of all the sports "stars" and tv and film celebs who make the bulk of the people who get honours?

If someone wins a gold medal, that's great, but these people are purely self-absorbed obsessives where everything revolves around them. I don't see why they should be honoured for that behaviour even it does lead to medals. It doesn't benefit the wider society, apart from giving people something to watch on tv for a while they obtain their "glory."

The government introduced a law to financially punish serial dodgy scheme providers, but amazingly, they have never used it! Not once! I wonder why?

Probably because most of the ministers use the same schemes.

I like this. If you're not prepared to pay your fair share why should you get a benefit honour?

Agree and I would include people who have a criminal record too.

Oh, the last time I checked Philip Green is still Sir Philip Green.X/

• I agree Fidget. Out of interest, what do you think of all the sports "stars" and tv and film celebs who make the bulk of the people who get honours?

If someone wins a gold medal, that's great, but these people are purely self-absorbed obsessives where everything revolves around them. I don't see why they should be honoured for that behaviour even it does lead to medals. It doesn't benefit the wider society, apart from giving people something to watch on tv for a while they obtain their "glory."

I think they are just 'doing their job', and mostly getting very well paid for doing it. The sports have their medals, the writers, actors and producers have their Oscar's and the many other awards they throw at each other. Why should they be given an 'honour' on top?

It was maybe different in the past, when all amateur sports people funded themselves and tried to hold down a full time job to pay for it, while training for the olympics, but that isn't the case today. If there has to be an award for sports people, they should go to the families and other supporters who sacrifice their own lives in order to help the sportsperson reach their goal.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I think they are just 'doing their job', and mostly getting very well paid for doing it. The sports have their medals, the writers, actors and producers have their Oscar's and the many other awards they throw at each other. Why should they be given an 'honour' on top?

They're all self absorbed with their awards and medals, fine, but they don't need to be honoured for that. They've done nothing for wider society and in most cases get very well paid for doing their job, I agree.

Carers don't get medals or awards and in the case of looking after relatives, we don't get paid either.

It was maybe different in the past, when all amateur sports people funded themselves and tried to hold down a full time job to pay for it, while training for the olympics, but that isn't the case today. If there has to be an award for sports people, they should go to the families and other supporters who sacrifice their own lives in order to help the sportsperson reach their goal.

:thumbup:

But even when most of them were self funded, that was still something they were doing for themselves, not benefit the wider society.

Of the top sports stars, how many of them have donated some of their millions to opening up academies to support the young, or give facilities for older people? Very few, I bet. In fact, I can't think of a single one at the moment. Likewise, how many top actors have supported local theatre groups or arts and crafts schemes? Again, very few.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!