Latest scare ,the poor will eat poor quality meat after Brexit !

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I don't understand the scare about chlorine washed chicken. We drink tap water with chlorine. The local baths is full of it. It comes down to choice between chlorine washed or a risk of salmonella. So long as food is labelled correctly (that would be very welcome) then the consumer chooses which to buy. Nobody can be FORCED to buy chicken from the USA. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

OK, I'm lucky that I can afford organic and I can afford not to buy mass produced beefburgers that may contain horsemeat. There are as many food scares from Europe as from the USA. Greed for money overtakes adherence to the law, and Europeans are not immune from that crime.

We have lived very cheaply in the past, especially when every penny went into starting my own business, and time was short too as I put in 12+ hrs per day 6 days per week while getting the business established. You can eat and live perfectly well on a small budget if you plan ahead.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I don't understand the scare about chlorine washed chicken. We drink tap water with chlorine. The local baths is full of it. It comes down to choice between chlorine washed or a risk of salmonella. So long as food is labelled correctly (that would be very welcome) then the consumer chooses which to buy. Nobody can be FORCED to buy chicken from the USA. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

That's exactly what Reese-Mogg and Boris have said, plus with America's vast agricultural output, much of their food will be cheaper.

OK, I'm lucky that I can afford organic and I can afford not to buy mass produced beefburgers that may contain horsemeat. There are as many food scares from Europe as from the USA. Greed for money overtakes adherence to the law, and Europeans are not immune from that crime.

We have lived very cheaply in the past, especially when every penny went into starting my own business, and time was short too as I put in 12+ hrs per day 6 days per week while getting the business established. You can eat and live perfectly well on a small budget if you plan ahead.

Exactly. I cook a lot a things like soup, mincemeat (for use in Spaghetti Bolognese or lasagne) stews etc and meals come in around £2-£3 per head.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politi…n-a8525281.html

Ever reliable independent , guess what , most of the "poor" I know eat crap now , part of their lifestyle , phone credit ? ,fags?, drink ? or food ,guess what comes last !

Re what the poor eat, their lifestyles etc, that's a topic in itself. So another idea for discussion here.:thumbup:

• Exactly. I cook a lot a things like soup, mincemeat (for use in Spaghetti Bolognese or lasagne) stews etc and meals come in around £2-£3 per head.

My slow cooker did overtime when we were having to be careful with money. Set it going in the morning, eat well at night, and freeze what was left for a quick meal another night. Pressure cookers are also a godsend when you haven't much time to spare, and I still use mine regularly because it's so efficient and a joint of ham, or bacon, done in the cooker tastes wonderful. You can get plenty of meals out of one joint, and good cold for sandwiches too. Belly pork was also a favourite, as it is so cheap. Likewise for liver and onions. I still enjoy cheap meals and they are are just as good for you as more expensive cuts.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

When in the US I eat more chicken than anything , never , ever has it tasted funny or upset my stomach , also who will force anyone to buy it a, remember all that fine "Beef" from the EU that was so good it turned into horse meat, the poor were lapping that stuff up .

• No-deal Brexit could put public at risk, warns Met chief

The public could be put at risk if the UK leaves the EU in March without an official agreement, the UK's most senior police officer has said.

Met Commissioner Cressida Dick said a no-deal exit would threaten access to EU-wide criminal databases and make it harder to extradite people from abroad.

She told the BBC the Met was talking to other police forces across Europe about contingency arrangements if needed.

As this is a scare story, I thought I'd stick it in this thread.

Hasn't it been nice that we haven't had a Brexit story for five minute? Well, at least they gave it a break on Christmas Day.

• The irony of that claim about poor quality meat after Brexit is that when we had those scares of meat like beef that was contaminated with horsemeat etc most of it was traced back to coming from eastern European countries that are part of the EU, so just more scaremongering from the rermoaners.

• Agreed. All the scaremongering about chlorine washed chicken, when Brits have been eating bleached tripe for decades, if not hundreds of years, and it is still sold in the UK. I wonder if the EU have banned it?

• All the scaremongering about chlorine washed chicken

It's used as an anti-bacterial treatment and in the States it's rare that they have salmonella or compilobactor type food poisoning scares from chicken. Compare and contrast UK and EU. IIRC something like half of all raw chicken is contaminated.

• It's used as an anti-bacterial treatment and in the States it's rare that they have salmonella or compilobactor type food poisoning scares from chicken. Compare and contrast UK and EU. IIRC something like half of all raw chicken is contaminated.

Thanks for being a voice of sanity.

Leaving aside the fantasy land of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, the US is surely one of the countries in which one is least likely to get ill when eating out

• I imagine chlorinated chicken is no worse than bleached flour, which is main ingredient in all white bread, bleached tripe, or any of the other bleached foodstuffs we currently eat. Also, I believe fewer people die of salmonella due to undercooked chicken in the USA, than in Europe.

I love ox tongue, but don't fancy tripe or black pudding. I've put my very picky saluki onto Butchers Tripe loaf and he wolfs it down. He isn't picky when I give him tripe and is now fit as a butchers dog. :)

• There are plenty of food treatments that people know absolutely nothing about, much is designed to improve shelf life, appearance or food safety. I suspect that if they did know these could be made as controvesial as the chlorinated chicken hysteria.

There are "poorer" cuts of meat but you just need to know how to cook them properly, brisket for example. Often these have much more flavour than the premium cuts.

BTW I love Scottish black pudding as the fat is evenly distributed and the grain is much coarser, I think it's oatmeal. I just try not to think about the red ingredient.:/

• I used cheap cuts of meat when I started my business, when borrowings were high and money was very tight. I learned to prefer them over the more expensive ones.

We still have brisket, belly pork, liver, etc. at regular intervals. My husband likes lamb hearts but I can't eat them. They look too much like what they are. A chunk of meat is less identifiable.

• There are plenty of food treatments that people know absolutely nothing about, much is designed to improve shelf life, appearance or food safety. I suspect that if they did know these could be made as controvesial as the chlorinated chicken hysteria.

Indeed. One of the things I have to look out for is foods that contain phosphorous and it's surprising how much food has the stuff artificially added to it.

I think the chlorinated chicken argument will run and run, but as been said here, it's a choice. As long as the stuff is properly labelled, people can choose to buy it or not. I bet if it's 20% cheaper than current chickens, then might nudge people's a opinion a "little".

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!