Same sex mice have babies. A step too far??

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Baby mice have been made with two mums and no dad, say researchers at the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

It took a substantial feat of genetic engineering to break the rules of reproduction.

The scientists said the "bimaternal" (two mammas) animals were healthy and went on to have pups of their own.

I've got my conspiracy hat on for this one...

Bearing in mind the "issues" China has with its vast population and the fact that Chinese parents have a preference for male children, especially under the one child rule which is now lapsing, are the Chinese trying to re engineer humans so we don't need different sexes any more?

I'm all for stretching the boundaries of knowledge and sometimes some things in science do seem very scary, but this seems totally unnecessary to me and potentially dangerous to our species.

• We do so many things that go against nature. Look at what they have done to farm animals and dogs, etc. So many breeds are now unable to reproduce 'naturally'. People will be next on the list and genetic manipulation will be standard fare.

Nature will fight to the very end and try to reduce the human population, one way or another.

I am glad I lived while some of the natural world still exists.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• But what do you think of the Chinese specifically getting involved in this Fidget? Do they have a ulterior motive?

Please excuse my cynicism, but few would bother doing anything if they didn't have a 'motive'. It may be 'beneficial' for some, in the short term, but ultimately destructive in the long term. I think people are doing a pretty good job of indirectly destroying the human race. We will rely on genetic manipulation, drugs, surgery and machines for future survival ... and that's assuming that the Earth's survival is still viable. I won't be around to see the end game.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!