Midterms 2018. Will the Democrats make a comeback?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • US President Donald Trump has made a last bid for voters to back the Republican party on the eve of a nationwide election that is seen as a referendum on his presidency.

"Everything we have achieved is at stake tomorrow," he said during a blitz of three final rallies.

The mid-term elections come half way through his four years in office, and will determine how effectively he can govern for the next two years.

Voter turnout is expected to be high.

Some pundits have said that Trump will get destroyed at tomorrow's elections and the Republicans will lose both Houses. Others say the opposite and that Trump will come back firing on all cylinders. What are we to make of it?

I think it will be close, but I'm not sure if either side will be able to claim a decisive lead here. Trump is far too controversial, which for his supporters is great, they like him for that, but for Trump to claim a decisive win, he needs to win over the middle ground. He doesn't "do" middle anything.

• What is interesting is that democracy is no longer respected in the western world, not in the UK or Europe either. The losers hate losing. They demand to be the winner, even if it means 'playing dirty' to get their own way.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Democracy is all about voting for your leader or local representative and thereafter,if your preferred candidate didn't win, uniting with the winning side for the greater good.

People need to be found eligible to engage in all sorts of activities which can have an affect on the public at large, eg passing a driving test, owning a gun, giving health advice and treatment, offering servicing as an electrician, servicing an oil boiler, etc etc etc. But to vote for which politician should lead the country (or your constituency, if you are very parochial), you just have to be 18 years old and able to write a cross in a box. Once a citizens is permitted to vote for the listed candidates, even if one has never of them or because they use a motorbike, or like fish fingers, or tells good jokes, he can end up the winner.

We exclude prisoners from being permitted to vote. How about we also exclude those who are quite obviously mentally deranged or irresponsible or anarchic? After all, we already exclude the under 18's, so the principle of an arbitrary or judged eligibility is already established. so all I'm proposing is to improve it. Otherwise, as the saying goes, G.I.G.O

• What is interesting is that democracy is no longer respected in the western world, not in the UK or Europe either. The losers hate losing. They demand to be the winner, even if it means 'playing dirty' to get their own way.

The liberal luvvies are the ones that cannot understand the concept of losing , must be all those , "we are all winners"at sports days coming home to roost .

• NO IT WILL NOT BE INTERESTING AT ALL ,this anti Trump obsession in the UK media hit new lows yesterday , you would of thought it was OUR election!

I agree up to a point, but who the American president is and what he is, is relevant to us. So, if as is the case now, that Trump is weakened by the loss of the House of Representatives, that is relevant news story for the UK and the rest of the world.

it'l be interesting to see how the US heads now the libtarded democrats are ahead

I'm not a Trump fan and I'm afraid I think he's far ahead of any democrat as a candidate for the nut house, talking of which:

We exclude prisoners from being permitted to vote. How about we also exclude those who are quite obviously mentally deranged or irresponsible or anarchic? After all, we already exclude the under 18's, so the principle of an arbitrary or judged eligibility is already established. so all I'm proposing is to improve it. Otherwise, as the saying goes, G.I.G.O

Perhaps we should start with candidates running for president. If they're mentally unstable, narcissist, have a questionable past and basically all round nut jub, then perhaps these characters should be excluded too.

I wonder whom I might be thinking of here...:/:whistling:

• Here's a couple of news stories about the election results for those of us who did not see the news at the time, or for those who may read this thread in the future and need context:

The Democrats have taken control of the US House of Representatives in the mid-term elections, dealing a blow to President Donald Trump.

A Democratic majority in the lower chamber for the first time in eight years will restrict his ability to steer his programme through Congress.

The Democrats' hopes of winning control of the US Senate have been dealt a blow in the mid-term elections.

A Donald Trump Republican ally is projected to unseat an incumbent in Indiana, but Democratic senators held on in West Virginia and New Jersey.

The results are interesting because almost certainly now, the Democrats will try and impeach Trump as they control the lower house where impeachment proceedings would start. But the "judges" are those in the senate, which Trump has retained control of and increased his lead slightly. So, they'll all be slugging it out until the next presidental election. What a great system they have over there...:thumbdown::rolleyes:

• Democrats will try and impeach Trump as they control the lower house where impeachment proceedings would start. But the "judges" are those in the senate, which Trump has retained control of and increased his lead slightly.

Didn't the same thing happen under Clinton: The lower house tried impeachment but the Senate threw it out?

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Yep!

Yet, that's exactly what they're going do, I reckon.

I'm glad we don't have their system, Heero. At least our leader always has majority control of government...:whistling:

• I'd have to say that under May that's a debatable point.

Yep. She is turning into a right little dictator. Even her ministers are kept out of the ball game.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Pride comes before a fall as the saying goes.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!